From: 45...@NAVPGS.BITNET (LT Scott A. Norton, USN)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: WordPerfect
Date: Fri, 7-Aug-87 18:24:00 EDT

The Wordperfect rep spoke to the NPS Computer Club last night,
and I got a few new nuggets of information about the Amiga
version of WordPerfect.

As I previously reported, the Amiga version of WordPerfect is now
shipping.  The Amiga version, 4.1, has the same functions as the
IBM version 4.1.  The most current IBM version is 4.2, which has
some goodies 4.1 doesn't.

The new information I picked up last night includes the
following:

The Amiga version is expected to leap to 5.0 in the near future (
6 months to one year ).  That version will incorporate bitmapped
graphics, and will break away from the IBM-PC
ASCII-character-only history of WordPerfect.  Upgrades for the
IBM version run $35, and Amiga upgrades should be slightly less,
since the Amiga program has a lower list price.

The Amiga version is on 3 disks, and is not write protected.
( The rep says they only write-protect what they ship to South
America.  I was aware that the international agreements on
copyright protection are not agreed to by some South American
countries, but I didn't realize this situation could make a
software house alter its policy on write-protection.  )

The rep claimed the reason WordPerfect Corp has seized the
largest share of the word processing market, and is continuing to
grow towards a majority of that market, is the emphasis they
place on customer service.  C= take note!  WP came into the word
processing game late ( 1983, I think ) and have grabbed 30% of
the market, and look like they'll get over 50% in the next year.
And they based that growth on customer service.  150 people on
the phones full time to answer questions.  How many people work
at CATS?

LT Scott A. Norton, USN
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA 93943-5018
45...@NavPGS.BITNET
---
  "George took Textcraft and threw it across the pool to
the other side, among the brush.  'What do you want of a
bad word processor, anyways?'
   'I could pet it with my thumb while we walked along,'

said Lenny."
                         -John Steinbeck, "Of Mice and Men
                                           and Word Processors"