From: l...@nth.UUCP (Loyd Blankenship)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Summary of Telebit Replies
Date: 22 Jan 89 16:19:43 GMT

 Ok, this is a summary of the replies (actually, these *are* the replies) I
got on my recent question about Telebits working with the standard Hayes AT
command set on my pc.  I appreciate the replies, as they have eased my mind
concerning the impending purchase.  Is there still any kind of good deal
floating around on these babies?  The half-price thing sounded good, but as
usual, I was a few weeks late.

Replies Follow:
From: cs.utexas.edu!ima.isc.com!johnl (John R. Levine)
#The Telebit does indeed understand the usual Hayes AT commands.  To make
#it work well you need to send it a somewhat more complicated setup string
#than usual, but most programs that deal with terminals can handle that.
#
#The Telebit has a variety of "spoof" modes, in which it recognizes the
#data stream coming from the computer as being a protocol it knows such
#as xmodem, ymodem, or uucp.  In that case, the modem at each end of the
#connection sends the appropriate responses to each computer, and the
#modems actually send the data using a high-speed scheme tuned to the
#Telebit.  The result is very high throughput with no particular cooperation
#from the host software.

From: cs.utexas.edu!mtune.ATT.COM!rkh (Robert Halloran)
#The Trailblazer is Hayes-compatible, so your vanilla PC BBS software
#should be able to handle it.  There are some high-number (S # 100)
#registers that control things like on-the-fly data compression &
#protocol spoofing that you might have to allow for, though.

From: cs.utexas.edu!uunet.UU.NET!microsoft!w-colinp
#First of all, the place Trailblazers are discussed is comp.dcom.modems;
#look there for more information.
#Yes, telebits work fine with Amigae.  The standard AT command set, with
#lits of extra features (about 50 registers to play with.)
#In fact, it can be easier than usual to hook up, since you can set the
#Trailblazer to keep the connection to the Amiga at 19,200 baud always;
#it'll figure out the speed of the caller and use either hardware handshaking
#or Xon/Xoff (settable, hardware is preferred) to make sure buffers don't
#fill up.

End of Replies.

Loyd Blankenship    cs.utexas.edu!nth!loyd   (UUCP)

$

: