From: s...@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: WordPerfect dumps Amiga
Date: 2 May 89 01:00:25 GMT

WordPerfect has decided to stop further development work for the Amiga.

The following message was posted to CompuServe's AmigaTech Forum on Saturday
morning, and is reposted here with permission.  I'm sure that's it's started
to make it's rounds on various BBS systems, but for those of you who haven't
seen it yet, here is the original posting.  Since the posting, Mr. Peterson
has been answering people's questions about this on CIS.  (He's on the board
of directors of WP).  If you wish to send him e-mail or post a notice to him,
his ID is listed below.

If you wish to send a letter to WordPerfect, the address is:

WordPerfect Corporation
1555 N. Technology Way
Orem, UT 84057

-----------------------------
#: 45802 S3/Hot News and Rumors
    29-Apr-89  00:20:43
Sb: #WPCorp Backs Off
Fm: Pete Peterson WPCorp 72067,3552
To: All

I spent some time on the phone today with an Amiga user who wanted to tell
me how upset he was to learn that we have cancelled PlanPerfect for the
Amiga and put on hold any plans for a major revision to WordPerfect.  The
person was especially upset to learn that the decision was based largely on
monetary considerations.

All of this is true.  This week we took five programmers from the Amiga
group and moved them to OS/2 or Unix.  That left two programmerto
maintain (fix the bugs) in the current versions of WordPerfect and Library.
We will continue to sell these versions, and we will from time to time
issue minor releases to fix bugs.

For those of you who are unhappy or upset about the decision, I offer the
following explanation.  I know it may not help much to understand the
reasons, but I will offer hem to you so you at least know what happened.

As has been discussed on this forum, we have a few problems in the Amiga
market.  I would suggest our problems are as follows:  1--We do not show
fonts on screen; 2--We do not support any graphics on screen or in a
document; 3--Our price is too high for the market; and 4--Some people feel
our software has too many bugs.  4 is, of course, something we can do
something about (and there is an interim release coming in a couple of
weeks).  1, 2 and 3 are touvher.

We don't have an easy way of getting fonts and graphics on screen.  5.0 for
the PC handles fonts and graphics well, but not on screen.  We probably
won't have a WYSIWYG DOS version that can be ported for another year, and a
port of a DOS version would take 18 months after that.

The Amiga programmers had been planning on porting the next Mac version,
but the big problem with using the Mac code (which is 68000 assembly) is
that we rely completely on the Macintosh facilities for printing.  That
means the Amiga group would have to write all the printing code themselves,
in addition to the code translation.  Such a product could not be ready
until mid-1990 at the earliest--and probably longer.  We thought of using
our printing code from the C (Unix) version, but the codes is just too big
to be used effectively on the Amiga.

The third alternative is to write a word processor rom scratch.  Such a
project would take 6 n 7 programmers about 18 months (an optimistic
guess).

So whatever we do, we arrive very late to the market--probably the end of
1990 at the earliest.  And once we arrive, we probably have to enter with a
price closer to $195.  At that price (distributor price of $80-$100) given
the salaries we pay our programmers and the support we offer, we don't feel
we can make money.

Most of our Amiga programmers are very discouraged with the decision.  They
love the machine and they like working together.  They have worked hard
without much commercial success.  But Bruce, Alan and I (the Board of
Directors) cannot fund the new products without some hope that the products
will be successful.  Given the timing, the price point, and the costs of
development, it just doesn't make sense.

We had hoped the German market would generate enough money to pay for the
projects, but unfortunately we are not selling in Germany.  While sales of
the Amiga are strong, mostof the sales are for 500s, and we don't run well
at all on the 500.

We're sorry.  We kno a lot of ustomers will be unhappy with these
decisions.  We entered the market because a few of our programmers loved
the machine.  It was a decision of the heart, not:he head.  We tried to
pull back last summer when our WordPerfect sales fell off badly, but the
programmers pleaded for more time.  We reconsidered the decision in
January, and again (with our hearts) decided to give it a little more time.
Since then sales have fallen off even more, and now we don't see any way to
justify the new products.

WordPerfect is a great word processor and the Amiga is a great machine.
Our 4.1, 4.2 or 5.0 versions, however, are not the right versions for the
Amiga. We need 6.0, and 6.0 isn't ready yet.  Once it's ready, we may
change our decision, but in the meantime, we can make better use of the
programmers on other machines.  Pete

[lots of apologetic text from Wordperfect person, forwarded from Compuserve]
[ and then, just for a sampler:]

> WordPerfect is a great word processor and the Amiga is a great machine.
> Our 4.1, 4.2 or 5.0 versions, however, are not the right versions for the
> Amiga. We need 6.0, and 6.0 isn't ready yet.  Once it's ready, we may
> change our decision, but in the meantime, we can make better use of the
> programmers on other machines.  Pete
>
> --------------END OF MESSAGE-------------------

Would-be customer support people, take note: the above forwarded
message is one of the best pieces of technical writing that I've seen
in a long time. Maybe we should forward his name to Telenet, for them
to hire him as PC Pursuit public relations (typical PC Pursuit
manager's posting: "If you post <certain information about PC
Pursuit>, we'll kick you off. If you post <competitor's phone #>,
we'll delete it and kick you off"). Instead, potential PR people, note
the careful reasoned and apologetic tone, calculated to gain sympathy.
Technical writers, note how well the final paragraph summarizes the
entire message. Everybody, note the final sentence, calculated to cast
a ray of hope on the whole situation.

All in all, that message was the work of a true artist. My hat is off
to the person who wrote it. This is meant most sincerely, in no way
satirically.

In the meantime, the only other large word processor is Excellence!,
which is so mind-bogglingly slow that I'd have to be doped up on
Qualudes to use it. So the question is, "What now?" Note how many
people he said would be required to write Wordperfect 6.0 from
scratch... do you see any Amiga software companies with the resources
to put that many people onto a project? DO you see ANY software
company daring to trod where WordPerfect feared to go?

Sounds like it's about time for me to buy TeX, eh?

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |