From: j...@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: Why is the Amiga 3000 so damned expensive in Europe?
Date: 17 Jul 90 18:21:55 GMT
Sender: n...@pcsbst.pcs.com

Ok, I'll admit that I haven't shopped for one in every European
country so far, but if Germany and England can be judged adequate
mid-to-low points in the European cost spectrum, then the Amiga
is still grossly overpriced here. A typical 25Mhz, 40MB configuration
here in Munich, for instance, will run you a cool DM8000 or more. That's
about $4800 USD at current rates of exchange. The cost is about the same
in London, given the current Pounds <-> USD exchange rate (a little more,
actually).

My only question is "WHY?". Aren't they making them over here? If not,
why not? We've got loads of Eager East Germans that would love to build
the suckers! If not the east germans, why not the Poles, or the Czechs?
There's also Ireland and Scotland, though the tax advantages might not
be as nice (if someone can show me that Irish labour + Tax laws are a
significant competitor to their eastern european counterparts, I'll gladly
eat those words). In any case, the bottom line is a reasonably priced 3000
and I just don't see it. As a contrast, a 500 can be bought in Germany
for as little as DM850, or a 2000 (both stock) for DM1700. I think that
both of those prices are more than competetive with the US rates (I've
heard that 2000's are actually MORE expensive in the U.S, figure that).

Note that by "reasonably priced" I'm not talking 5 for a dollar, I'm
merely asking for something that meets (or, heh heh, beats) current
average prices in the U.S.

While we're in flame mode, how 'bout somebody tells the German distributors
that NOT EVERYONE wants a german %$#%#$!! keyboard! For typing in personal
correspondence to your Tante Ingrid in Frankfurt with umlauts and all,
it's fine. For writing C code, or programming in general, it sucks. Yet
when I tried to get a Munich distributor to order a 3000 for me with
a US keyboard, or even a British one (I can live with a "pound" over the 3),
they said it simply "was not possible". It was, in fact, this rejection
that lead me to starting looking at possible U.S. ordering alternatives
and thus exposing the price differential. At this point, I'd pretty much
be willing to pay the extra, but not to live with a German keyboard.

Remap it, you say? Sure, I can remap it. On my 500 I've remapped it. However,
I still sometimes forget where a certain key is and I'd like to have the
keycaps agree with what I'm typing 90% of the time. I'm funny that way.
If someone can recommend some sort of relabeling scheme that doesn't make
the keys feel funny, I'm open to suggestions for the 500, but for what they're
charging for the 3000, I'm damn well gonna get the keyboard I want! For
DM900 I can live with a bad keyboard, for DM8000, no way.

					Jordan
[ spleen vented, core dumped.. ]
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh j...@meepmeep.pcs.com