From: lmbai...@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Subject: The Amiga's Future
Date: 1 Jun 91 19:38:07 GMT

I am worried. Seems like everyday some new gee-whiz add-on for the IBM
comes out to improve it's graphics and sound. Seems the price for
faster IBMs is dropping so low that fast Amigas can't compare. The big
business software makers continue to ignore us and Commodore shows no
signs of putting out an improved chip set or marketing of any major
effort.

The Amiga is doing well in Europe, but I don't live in Europe. I live
in the US where I have to drive 40 mins to get to the nearest Amiga
Dealer.

As much as I hate using an IBM, it looks like it will eventually come
down to that.

The most amazing thing I have seen on the Amiga in recent memory is
the Video Toaster which I have no use for. All the graphic's add-ons
can't be used with Workbench let alone a good game. Maybe my
priorities are screwed up, but I'd LIKE to have 256 Colors in my video
games. I'd LIKE to have games support the three button Sega Genesis
pad (not hard to do, but no one is doing it.) I'd LIKE to have more
than 4 voices available when I write songs without resorting to MIDI.
None of this stuff is available and none appears to be on the horizon.

Back in 1986 when I signed on with the Amiga out of pure amazement at
what I saw, I was certain Commodore had caught the ball poised for a
major touchdown. They would seem to have fumbled the ball all over the
end zone. Even Jay Minor, father of the Amiga, doesn't see the machine
as ever becoming anything great now. It's too little too late. We were
ahead of the game, but we just sat around and watched the world rush
past. It's only a matter of time before Microsoft manages to get
Windows working well enough to make it easy to use the IBM.

It's a damn shame too. I've tried to be optimistic about it, but the
more I wait, the darker the future seems.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

>Back in 1986 when I signed on with the Amiga out of pure amazement at
>what I saw, I was certain Commodore had caught the ball poised for a
>major touchdown. They would seem to have fumbled the ball all over the
>end zone. Even Jay Minor, father of the Amiga, doesn't see the machine
>as ever becoming anything great now. It's too little too late. We were
>ahead of the game, but we just sat around and watched the world rush
>past. It's only a matter of time before Microsoft manages to get
>Windows working well enough to make it easy to use the IBM.
>
>It's a damn shame too. I've tried to be optimistic about it, but the
>more I wait, the darker the future seems.

I would give it a little more time.  The Toaster just came out.  2.0 and
the ECS is about to come out.  And I'll bet it cost a lot of money to get
CDTV started.  You might be right, but I wouldn't place any bets until
about a year from now.

                                        NCW

>>Back in 1986 when I signed on with the Amiga out of pure amazement at
>>what I saw, I was certain Commodore had caught the ball poised for a
>>major touchdown. They would seem to have fumbled the ball all over the
>>end zone. Even Jay Minor, father of the Amiga, doesn't see the machine
>>as ever becoming anything great now. It's too little too late. We were
>>ahead of the game, but we just sat around and watched the world rush
>>past. It's only a matter of time before Microsoft manages to get
>>Windows working well enough to make it easy to use the IBM.
>>
>>It's a damn shame too. I've tried to be optimistic about it, but the
>>more I wait, the darker the future seems.
>>

>I would give it a little more time.  The Toaster just came out.  2.0 and
>the ECS is about to come out.  And I'll bet it cost a lot of money to get
>CDTV started.  You might be right, but I wouldn't place any bets until
>about a year from now.

   Time for a reality check.  For 95% of the people in the Amiga community,
the Toaster is totally useless.  The Toaster is not going to save the
Amiga, because it is a product intended for a very limited purpose.  Few
Amiga owners have any need whatsoever for a special-effects box, and the
flickering display makes the Toaster unsuitable for other applications.

   The ECS isn't going to do much for the Amiga, either, because it was
obsolete before it even went into production.  The ECS is also 98%
identical to the very oldest Amiga chipset.

>                                        NCW
 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XG...@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XG...@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /