From: larrys@watson.ibm.com (larrys)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.programmer
Subject: Bill Gates Blasting IBM
Date: 26 Jun 91 06:07:30 GMT
Sender: larrys@ibmman

Now it is not my place to criticize, but I would like to address a few
things that have been bothering me for quite some time.

I don't like Bill Gates.

His attitude is too self-righteous for his own good.  "Other than
usability, making sure Windows is the winning OS is our highest
priority", said he in the memo leaked to PC Week.  "If we do succeed,
then we will be done forever with the poor code, poor design, poor
process and other overhead that [working with] IBM had led us to."  I am
sick of hearing Bill Gates say stuff like this, so I will ask the one
obvious question:

How come the first version of OS/2 1.3 to NOT be extremely influenced by
Microsoft (i.e. in lines of code) was the first one to really be praised
by the press in terms of function provided, performance, and memory/DASD
required?  It would seem that if Microsoft is so d*@% good, then OS/2
1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 would have been the greatest thing since sliced bread.
But it took 4 versions AND the estrangement of IBM and Microsoft to
produce a good product.

...AND if you thought that was good, see my posting last night about OS/2
2.0, which Microsoft had even less to do with that OS/2 1.3.  Bill Gates,
maybe you ought to sell a few more hundred thousand shares so that you
don't lose too much money (why DID he sell 400,000 shares anyways?).

"Our strategy is to make sure that we evolve the Windows API and get
developers to take advantage of the new features rapidly, while IBM has a
poor product with poor Windows functionality."  1)  Has anyone tried
programming for Windows and then PM?  If you have, then you know what a
nightmare programming for Windows is, compared to PM.  2)  What new
features?  Multithreading?  More memory?  Preemptive multitasking?  OS/2
has it, and has it NOW.  3)  Poor product with poor Windows
functionality?  Just because we don't think the universe revolves around
Windows doesn't mean we have a poor product.  AND with OS/2 2.0 coming
out in 4Q91 and the currently consumers perception that Windows isn't
"all it's cracked up to be", the trend will shift from Windows to OS/2
2.0.

Look, I'm not out to start a holy war about who is better.  Those who
prefer Windows, try OS/2 2.0.  If it isn't a "better Windows than
Windows" or a "better DOS than DOS", then IBM will truly be flushed out
of the PC operating system business and you'll never have to listen to
this again.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

>Look, I'm not out to start a holy war about who is better.  Those who
>prefer Windows, try OS/2 2.0.  If it isn't a "better Windows than
>Windows" or a "better DOS than DOS", then IBM will truly be flushed out
>of the PC operating system business and you'll never have to listen to
>this again.

If this indeed represents IBM policy, it looks like hot news: IBM
did not get out of the keyboard business after "chiclets"; nor
did it get out of the box business after the PC/XT286; and as for
OSs after OS/360 JCL ...

So: was chiclets a better keyboard than keyboards? or is
IBM doing a massive U-turn?
--
Gideon Yuval, gideony@microsoft.com, 206-882-8080 (fax:-883-8101;TWX:160520)

Disclaimer: This posting represents the poster's views, not those of IBM

In <73326@microsoft.UUCP>, gideony@microsoft.UUCP (Gideon YUVAL) writes:

>In article <B6Q80CH.PST@ibmman.watson.ibm.com> larrys@watson.ibm.com (larrys) wr
>ites:
>>Look, I'm not out to start a holy war about who is better.  Those who
>>prefer Windows, try OS/2 2.0.  If it isn't a "better Windows than
>>Windows" or a "better DOS than DOS", then IBM will truly be flushed out
>>of the PC operating system business and you'll never have to listen to
>>this again.
>
>If this indeed represents IBM policy, it looks like hot news: IBM
>did not get out of the keyboard business after "chiclets"; nor
>did it get out of the box business after the PC/XT286; and as for
>OSs after OS/360 JCL ...
>
>So: was chiclets a better keyboard than keyboards? or is
>IBM doing a massive U-turn?

IBM seems to be doing the "massive U-turn", but I won't fully believe it
until I see major changes occurring *regularly*.  I have been told by
someone (unnamed, for obvious reasons) on high that it is their belief
that IBM has to change the way it does things to stay alive in the
marketplace.  I (you and many IBMers) agree fully and wait with baited
breath to see what happens.

I have seen the OS/2 Live demo at the PC Expo.  The demo was indeed a
"better DOS than DOS" and a (much) "better Windows than Windows"
(approximately 100% increase in performance running the same Windows
binary file).  Of course, if Microsoft releases NT on schedule (and,
thus, make me eat my words in my last posting) then a whole new ball game
is started.

I'm not worried about that, though.  ;)

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.