From: varm...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samir Varma)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: NYT article on OS2 delay (long)
Date: 12 Oct 91 18:06:26 GMT
Sender: n...@ut-emx.uucp
Originator: varm...@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu

I thought that people might be interested in this.  Quoted without permission,
but fair use should cover me.

The New York Times, Saturday, October 12, 1991.

I. B. M. disclosed yesterday that it would not meet its end-of-the-year goal
for shipping a new version of its advanced personal computer operating
system.  It has been counting on the system to blunt the growing influence
of the Microsoft Corporation's Windows program.

The setback, which the International Business Machines Corporation said had
resulted from customers' concerns that arose in a product-testing program,
is likely to hurt the company's credibility as it struggles to regainits
authority in an increasingly bitter marketing war with its former partner.

In April, I. B. M. said that by the end of the year it would have available
a new version of its OS2 operating system program, which is intended to
include support for both Windows and MS-DOS programs as well as more advance
32-bit programs.  The OS/2 will have a variety of advanced features and is
reported to run programs significantly faster than today's 16-bit operating
systems.

But yesterday the company said it felt it needed more time to add features
to the program, referred to OS/2 2.0.

"We have decided to re-evaluate some of the features that our customers
would like to see in this product," said Keith Lindenburg, and I. B. M.
spokesman.  "We're reviewing the best way to respond to these requirements."

Time Bajarin, a computer industry analyst at Creative Strategies, a market
research firm in San Jose, Calif., said, "It hurts their credibility because
the have been pushing so hard to get everybody on the OS/2 bandwagon."

But others who watch the industry said the decision was a smart move.

"They're wise to do that," said Richard G. Sherlund, a software analyst at
Goldman, Sachs & company.

"A year or two from now who will remember when the product shipped?  But
everyone will remember if the product's not ready."

An Impending Battle

I. B. M.'s delay is likely to push back for several months a confrontation
with Microsoft as both companies move to entice computer users to adopt
programs that offer some of the same features, like mouse control and screen
icons, that are closely identified with Apple Computer's Macintosh.

Microsoft officials, who hae been publicly skeptical of I. B. M's claims
that it would offer a "better Windows that Windows," said yesterday that
I. B. M. faced a significant hurdle in offering the promised compatibility
wiht the Microsoft program.

"This is a company that has made a big deal about making their deadlines,"
said Steven Ballmer, Microsoft's vice president for system software.
"They're going to get some grief about this."

Mr. Ballmer said Microsoft itself was racing to track down remaining bugs,
or programming errors, in a new version of Windows that is due to be
released early next year.  He said that the software publisher had send its
developers on a "bugathon" in recent weeks and he was confident that
Microsoft, which has delayed the new Windows version known as 3.1 several
times, would be able to meet its own new deadline.

Mr. Ballmer said a crucial new feature would presend a major technical
challenge to I. B. M. in modifying OS/2 to add the ability to run a
program written for Microsoft's Windows in an OS/2 window.  Until recently
I. B. M. had planned ot run Windows programs on a separte screen that would
not be visible at the same time as other programs.

Behind the Decision

Industry executives said that the decision came after a product-assurance
group did an audit and reported to the OS/2 management team that the project
was significantly behind the year-end target.

Mr. Sherlund said that the delay was certain to be a painful one for I. B.
M. because Microsoft's Windows has continued to gain momentum in recent
months.

Microsoft said in an analysts' briefing yesterday that it had shipped six
million copies of Windows and expected to have shipped eight million by the
end of the year.

"I. B. M. is standing on the sidelines watching with great apprehension
here," Mr. Sherlund said.

So what do all you people think?

Samir Varma
varm...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu