From: ds...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (David Sims)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Windows NT vs. OS/2 2.0
Date: 25 Oct 91 23:23:59 GMT

We all seem to concede that OS/2 1.3 and especially OS/2 2.0 are better
than Windows 3.0.  But what about Windows NT?  It sounds like Windows NT
and OS/2 2.0 will be pretty much the same.  Why should Joe User choose
OS/2 2.0 when Windows NT (seemingly) will have the same features and be
much more popular?
--
...david (ds...@ucunix.san.uc.edu)

>We all seem to concede that OS/2 1.3 and especially OS/2 2.0 are better
>than Windows 3.0.  But what about Windows NT?  It sounds like Windows NT
>and OS/2 2.0 will be pretty much the same.  Why should Joe User choose
>OS/2 2.0 when Windows NT (seemingly) will have the same features and be
>much more popular?
>--
>...david (ds...@ucunix.san.uc.edu)

David:

A couple of reasons:

  A) Windows NT is not yet ready.  The SDK is not even out.
     TODAY, OS/2 2.0 is on 2 machines I own.  This includes a laptop.

  B) Steve Balmer of MS say Windows NT will require 8MB and either a 486
     or fast 386.  OS/2 2.0 runs on a 386SX with 4MB (beta) and 3 MB maybe
     at GA.

  C) OS/2 2.0 does run DOS and Windows applications.  Windows NT's first
     release is not suppose to run DOS or 16 bit Windows applications.

  D) The Workplace Shell will not be in Windows/NT and when complete it
     will really help Joe User!  Look at how popular the MAC's interface
     is today.

     OS/2 2.0 will run not only the Workplace Shell, but a Windows shell,
     DOS 4.0 Shell and OS/2 1.x shell (according to the April FTN).
     Windows/NT stated direction does not include this type of migration
     path for people.

These are 4 reasons/differences.

Bert Mosheir
Cray Research, Inc.