Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.apps,comp.os.msdos.programmer,comp.sys.pen,
comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer,comp.windows.ms.programmer,comp.os.os2.programmer
From: reh@wam.umd.edu (Huddleston)
Subject: Boycott Microsoft
Sender: usenet@wam.umd.edu (USENET News system)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1992 01:05:22 GMT

From the _Microbytes_ section of the March 1992 _Byte_ magazine:

  "How will Microsoft's forthcoming Windows NT operating system
   compare to Unix?  According to Microsoft chairman and CEO Bill
   Gates, NT pretty much *is* Unix.  With its Posix standard
   compliance, Gates claims NT will be as compatible with the
   leading versions of Unix as they are with each other.  The
                                                          ^^^
   advantage of NT, Gates says, is that it will sell millions of
   units, more than any flavor of Unix.  He also said that
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Microsoft may offer a limited voice recognition capability for
   Windows this year."

Seems dear Bill is starting to take a few things for granted.  A few
million things, in fact.  Looks like Microsoft is starting to make the
same mistake the American automotive industry made about 20 years ago:
thinking that the consumer was in their pocket.  Perhaps it's time to
give Microsoft a good lesson in Customer Orientation.

I've gotten more than a little tired of "The World According to Microsoft,"
as well -- incremental increases in capability introduced on Microsoft's
timetable -- while the innovators of those capabilities (example: Go Corp.
and their Penpoint OS) get their ideas kludged into MS products.  I, for
one, refuse to play along anymore.  I have ordered DR DOS 6.0, and will
install it on my home PC as soon as it arrives.  I will go out of my way to
buy non-Microsoft solutions in any product category.  And, I will urge that
others equally tired of being played like a Pawn/Sucker by Microsoft start
doing the same thing.

I'd like to thank Bill Gates for giving me the push I needed to leave DOS and
Windows behind.

--
Boycott Microsoft