Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
From: mms...@im.lcs.mit.edu (Milan Shah)
Subject: New York Times article - What's going on?
Sender: n...@athena.mit.edu (News system)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1992 23:52:36 GMT

I am posting an excerpt of an article that appeared in the Business
Day section of The New York Times, Feb 28, 1992. I post this
without permission and without any pretense of transcription
accuracy.

Software Detente for I.B.M
Microsoft Rivalry Being Played Down

TUCSON, Ariz., Feb 26 - I.B.M. has quietly retreated from its
loudly announced plan to battle the Microsoft Corporation for
leadership of the personal computer software industry. I.B.M.'s
decision to avoid thrusting its OS/2 program into direct
competition with Microsoft's Windows means that Microsoft can
count on the continuing allegiance of hundreds of computer
makers and software publishers, and millions of users.

The I.B.M. executive who took charge of OS/2 marketing activities
in December is sounding a more conciliatory theme. "I'm not the
kind of person who enjoys bashing Microsoft," Fernand B. Sarrat
said Tuesday. "Windows is a very successful product and I accept
that. I'm not going to buck the trend of Windows. I want to
ride with it."

The Internation Business Machines Corporation and Microsoft,
former partners, had been heading toward a showdown over
operating-system software that controls a computer's basic
functions. Both companies have promised soon to release new,
long-overdue versions of these programs that are supposed to make
personal computers much more powerful and easy to use.

... (edited)

But I.B.M. executives have begun playing down the rivalry and
promoting more modest goals, a reversal noted by others in the
business. "Whatever happened to the Blue Ninja?" said Terry
Garnett and executive at Oracle, a San Mateo, Calif. software
developer.

... (edited)

And Mr. Sarrat adopted a much friendlier tone than that of his
predecessor, Joseph Guglielmi, who was named chief executive of
Taligent, the I.B.M.-Apple Computer joint venture, this week. In
and interview Tuesday, Mr. Sarrat said that his sales campaign
would initially focus on the company's largest corporate
customers, which have been involved in the field testing of OS/2
2.0

"I don't view Microsoft as a direct competitor," he said. Instead,
Mr. Sarrat said he merely wanted to help customers get the most
from their computers. "I'm more into developing system software
that takes advantage of the most advanced hardware," he said,
suggesting that OS/2 will make its biggest impact in future
multimedia applications that integrate text, images, and sound.

... (edited)

So, what does everyone think?

Milan

>TUCSON, Ariz., Feb 26 - I.B.M. has quietly retreated from its
>loudly announced plan to battle the Microsoft Corporation for
>leadership of the personal computer software industry. I.B.M.'s
>decision to avoid thrusting its OS/2 program into direct
>competition with Microsoft's Windows means that Microsoft can
>count on the continuing allegiance of hundreds of computer
>makers and software publishers, and millions of users.

That's an unwarranted introduction, I think.  A bit too strong.  Read
on.

>The I.B.M. executive who took charge of OS/2 marketing activities
>in December is sounding a more conciliatory theme. "I'm not the
>kind of person who enjoys bashing Microsoft," Fernand B. Sarrat
>said Tuesday. "Windows is a very successful product and I accept
>that. I'm not going to buck the trend of Windows. I want to
>ride with it."

>But I.B.M. executives have begun playing down the rivalry and
>promoting more modest goals, a reversal noted by others in the
>business. "Whatever happened to the Blue Ninja?" said Terry
>Garnett and executive at Oracle, a San Mateo, Calif. software
>developer.
>"I don't view Microsoft as a direct competitor," he said. Instead,
>Mr. Sarrat said he merely wanted to help customers get the most
>from their computers. "I'm more into developing system software
>that takes advantage of the most advanced hardware," he said,
>suggesting that OS/2 will make its biggest impact in future
>multimedia applications that integrate text, images, and sound.

Nothing new here as far as I can see.  I'm a bit surprised it ended up
in the New York Times, though.  Hardly earth shattering, and no new
news.

Will IBM be marketing OS/2 to the home/small business user?
Absolutely.  (Many other extremely recent press stories have attested
to this fact.)  Do they want to destroy Windows?  Of course not.
They've always viewed Windows as the logical stepping stone to OS/2.
They've maintained that strategy consistently.  Windows is a proper
solution for many people.  (Note the quote: "I want to ride with it
[Windows].")

It sounds like he's saying, "If you want to use Windows 3.x, that's
fine.  When you're ready to step up to OS/2 2.0, we'll be there for
you, and you won't be disappointed."  That's sensible, isn't it?

OS/2 2.0 _needs_ Windows.  Windows 3.0 has encouraged people to
upgrade their machines, to explore the graphical user interface, to
experiment with multitasking (albeit crudely), and to become more
proficient with the mouse.  It will continue to do so for a long time
to come.
--
Timothy F. Sipples          Keeper of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Questions
s...@ellis.uchicago.edu     List, available via anonymous ftp from