Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.games,comp.sys.amiga.misc,
comp.sys.amiga.multimedia,comp.sys.amiga.graphics,comp.sys.amiga.hardware
From: k...@iastate.edu (Jeff T Kaczmarek)
Subject: Considering switching to IBM
Sender: n...@news.iastate.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1992 05:37:32 GMT

I have an Amiga 3000 with a Progressive Peripherals & Software 68040
accelerator card.  I have 4 megs of memory (2 megs chip and 2 megs fast).
Basically, I am thinking about selling my computer to buy a 486 with
Super VGA, Sound Blaster Pro, and CD-Rom drive.  I would probably lose
no money in the deal.  Here are my reasons:

1.	Sound - IBM now (within the past few months) have sound cards
		which greatly surpass Amiga sound capabilities.  Support
		is another matter, but the raw ability is now in the IBM's.

2.	Graphics - Amiga graphics now SUCK.  I mean, we have no standard
		past 640x400 with 16 colors and ham.

3.	Speed - Yes, Windows is pitifully slow.  So is WorkBench.
		I have on of the fastest amigas available and
		if I put it in 16 or even 8 colors it is pitifully
		slow.  I mean the cpu is hogged to open a drawer!

4.	Future - I don't see Commodore improving graphics and sound to be
		supported and affordable to all Amiga users (Games, DTP,
		Ray tracing, all applications).  IBM's have this already.

Don't get me wrong, I detest MS-DOS, only slightly less than Mac System 7.
But I can't stand this catch-up race we have to get technologies available
long ago on other platforms.  Come on, Commodore!  The Amiga used to be
the cutting edge of graphics!  It's now closer to the Apple II than any
other platform.

I don't want to sell my Amiga.  I like the DOS.  I like the people.  I like
the machine.  I feel I must.  If anyone has any REAL info on the future
of the amiga (if it's confidential I won't tell anybody), especially as
far as graphics, sound, CD-ROM support, etc., please mail me.  I don't
want to make a really bad mistake in switching, but this is getting REALLY
old!

Jeff Kaczmarek (k...@iastate.edu)

"10,000 Lemmings can't be wrong"
				-Brian Allen
Sure, IBMs and Macs multitask fine, you just can't run more than one program.