From: r...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu (ROBERT YUNG)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Some questions about OS/2......
Date: 15 Apr 92 02:38:00 GMT

I have some questions before I try it out. Thank you for your time.

1) Does it have a disk cache? I currently use Super-pckwik. Can I use that? If
not, will there be an update?

2) Can I have a CLI box on screen so I can do simple stuff like "copy *.xyz"
without having to click like crazy?

3) Does DOS boxes support ANSI?

4) Is there a screen blanker? Will the one with Super-Pckwik work?

5) How do I unfrag HSFS drives?

6) Can I resize windows without resizing the application? ie: I want to only
see a portion of a program, so I shrink the window until the unwanted areas
are covered up.

7) Do Dos boxes support UMB?

8) If a DOS/WINDOW program crashes, how do I quit it?

9) Can I enlarge an application on screen? Like a magnifying glass. Great for
Ultima Underworld if possible! Just have the playing field on screen.

10) Is there an icon editor?

11) What's the average size of the swap file? Or what's the swap-file size
ratio with memory amount?

12) What's MS's C-2 protection? How's it better?

13) Can I redirect the deleted-file directory to any drive I want? How about a
Ram drive? Is that bad? Also, can I undelete????

14) Mouse support in Dos windows?

15) Can I run different resolution programs in different windows? If yes, then
if I had OS2 in 1024X758, I can run any program as long as their resolution is
equal or less. Right?

16) Multi/Ulti-media support?

17) Dos games work? [TOP PRIORITY :-) ]

18) Street Fighter II applet??? :-) :-) :-)

19) Cool hologram like Dos 5's? BTW, how's the box?

20) Manuals????? REAL ONES I MEAN. Not online ones. I hate reading manuals
from the screen!

21) Any plans for icon name wrapping like in 3.1??? I guess they should since
3.1 compatibility is coming.

22) Will the $50 upgrade from Windows offer end? Is yes, when? And hhow much
would it be then???

23) Can I diskcopy in ONE pass now????

24) Is it too buggy to get know???

25) Is there an easy and quick way to switch between full screen DOS or
Windows? [For those with small screens :-( ]

26) How's IBM's big-fix policy? Free maintainence disks?

THANKS YOU for your time! Your answers will *REALLY* help me! God bless.
--
 (%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%)
  |  Off-campus address...                                          |

>I have some questions before I try it out. Thank you for your time.
>1) Does it have a disk cache? I currently use Super-pckwik. Can I use that? If
>not, will there be an update?

OS/2 2.0 comes with both HPFS and FAT caches that are highly
configurable.  You might be able to run Super-pckwik, but it wouldn't
make any sense to do so.

>2) Can I have a CLI box on screen so I can do simple stuff like "copy *.xyz"
>without having to click like crazy?

Yes.  OS/2's CMD.EXE, DOS's COMMAND.COM, both, or one of your choosing
(e.g. 4DOS, 4OS2).

>3) Does DOS boxes support ANSI?

Yes.  Just add DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\ANSI.SYS /L to your CONFIG.SYS file.

>4) Is there a screen blanker? Will the one with Super-Pckwik work?

It probably will work, but not in the way you expect (i.e. it might
just blank a DOS session).  OS/2 2.0 includes a screen blanker as part
of the Lockup facility.

>5) How do I unfrag HSFS drives?

Not needed.  HPFS is fragmentation resistant.  Meaning that files are
placed strategically when created to prevent most fragmentation.  In
practice you are extremely unlikely to get any significant
fragmentation.

If you REALLY want to defragment, the GammaTech Utilities will do it.

>6) Can I resize windows without resizing the application? ie: I want to only
>see a portion of a program, so I shrink the window until the unwanted areas
>are covered up.

I assume you are talking about DOS applications.  Yes.

>7) Do Dos boxes support UMB?

Yes.

>8) If a DOS/WINDOW program crashes, how do I quit it?

Return to the Window List (using CTRL-ESC), select the offending
application with the right mouse button, and select Close.

>9) Can I enlarge an application on screen? Like a magnifying glass. Great for
>Ultima Underworld if possible! Just have the playing field on screen.

Not yet.  Sounds like a good idea for shareware, doesn't it?

>10) Is there an icon editor?

Comes with OS/2 2.0.

>11) What's the average size of the swap file? Or what's the swap-file size
>ratio with memory amount?

Difficult to answer either question.  It depends on how much memory
you allocate to your DOS/Windows sessions, how many applications you
have running at once, and how much RAM you have on your system.

>12) What's MS's C-2 protection? How's it better?

Newsflash: Microsoft just announced the ever-evolving NT won't have
C2.

But, if it did, it would be extremely unlikely to have any impact on
your life.  C2 is a certification level (and a low one at that) issued
by the Department of Defense.

>13) Can I redirect the deleted-file directory to any drive I want? How about a
>Ram drive? Is that bad? Also, can I undelete????

Yes, but you certainly wouldn't want to redirect it to a RAM drive.
Bad idea.  The whole point in keeping a deleted file directory is to
recover from catastrophy, and a power outage is a very likely
catastrophy.  UnDelete is built-in (and is enabled by unREMming a line
in CONFIG.SYS).

>14) Mouse support in Dos windows?

Yes indeed.  (However, if someone can let me know how to set the
ballistic control, I'd be most grateful.)

>15) Can I run different resolution programs in different windows? If yes, then
>if I had OS2 in 1024X758, I can run any program as long as their resolution is
>equal or less. Right?

Essentially, although the drivers have to be in place for you to do
this.

>16) Multi/Ulti-media support?

The Windows Multimedia Extensions will run under OS/2 2.0, and the
OS/2 Multimedia Extensions, a backward compatible superset of the
Windows capabilities, will ship in a few weeks.

>17) Dos games work? [TOP PRIORITY :-) ]

With few exceptions.

>18) Street Fighter II applet??? :-) :-) :-)

It isn't mentioned in the README as incompatible.

>19) Cool hologram like Dos 5's? BTW, how's the box?

It is actually a fairly colorful box -- certainly by IBM standards.
But who buys software for the box?  (A deep sense of dread sweeps over
me as I realize that this question is more significant than I first
thought.  :-))

>20) Manuals????? REAL ONES I MEAN. Not online ones. I hate reading manuals
>from the screen!

Well, you can print them out.  They even look good now.

You get about an inch and a half of manuals.  If you want more paper,
IBM will gladly sell it to you.

>21) Any plans for icon name wrapping like in 3.1??? I guess they should since
>3.1 compatibility is coming.

In the Win-OS/2 compatibility layer icon name wrapping is not yet a
feature.  In OS/2 itself, it is.

>22) Will the $50 upgrade from Windows offer end? Is yes, when? And hhow much
>would it be then???

Ends July 31, 1992.  Price could conceivably go all the way up to
$195, but I expect they'll do something to keep the price low.  No
guarantees in life, though.

>23) Can I diskcopy in ONE pass now????

Since OS/2 1.3 you have been able to.

>24) Is it too buggy to get know???

Actually, surprisingly, no.  Bearing in mind that I've only been using
the release version for a week or so, it is quite stable.  The most
severe problem has been an installation glitch (that is easily worked
around).  But it is pretty darn good for such a major undertaking.

>25) Is there an easy and quick way to switch between full screen DOS or
>Windows? [For those with small screens :-( ]

Alt-Home for DOS.  With Windows programs, the Maximize button.  (Just
as you do with Windows.)

>26) How's IBM's big-fix policy? Free maintainence disks?

That's bug fix, right?  :-)  Yes indeed.  Free CSDs (Corrective
Service Diskettes).  They should be available online when they come
out.  There's also toll free telephone support (60 days from first
call), an OS/2 BBS, us :-), and a money back compatibility guarantee
(if OS/2 2.0 fails to work properly on your machine, and IBM can't fix
it, your money is refunded).  Terms may vary outside the U.S.

--
Timothy F. Sipples       Keeper of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Questions
s...@ellis.uchicago.edu  List, available via anonymous ftp from