From: dav...@cbmvax.commodore.com (David Miller - CATS)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Subject: Position Statement from Commodore VP of Engineering
Date: 4 May 92 16:05:44 GMT

[Posted at the request of Bill Sydnes and Jeff Scherb. -- DavidM]

	I have noticed some comments on the network over the past few
   	weeks questioning Commodore's commitment to the Amiga.  Normally,
 	we don't comment on postings on public networks, but this time
	I'd like to set the record straight.

	The majority of Commodore's revenue comes from the Amiga line
	of computers, and almost all of Commodore's R&D efforts are
	focused on enhancing the Amiga to continue to provide outstanding
	power and functionality at a competetive price.

	We have just released the Amiga 600, a brand-new machine aimed at
	the home market.  This machine is capable of supporting an internal
	IDE hard drive, has an industry-standard PCMCIA credit-card slot,
	and includes an on-board RF modulator for the home user.

	We have plans to release a number of other new Amiga models this
	year.  While I can't reveal the details of these machines at this
	point, I would like to say that we plan to provide significantly
	better capability and value for the user in these new systems.

	Significant R&D efforts are underway in the area of CDTV technology,
	both in improved systems and in peripherals for other Amiga computers.

	A large and continuing R&D effort exists to improve the performance
	and functionality of the Amiga chip set.

	Finally, we are examining the possibility of bringing new technology
	to the Amiga, in an effort to leverage the R&D efforts of the computer
	industry as a whole, and to take advantage of the price benefits
	that come with industry standards.

 	I believe these efforts illustrate our strong commitment to the Amiga
	and CDTV.

	William Sydnes
	Vice President, Engineering