From: Paula_Lieber...@amicol.UUCP (Paula Lieberman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Subject: Re: NeXTStep/486
Date: 20 May 92 03:25:15 GMT

Some market research company or other indicated that something like 19,200
NeXts were shipped in 1991... k not exactly the world's bestselling
computer.....

-- Via DLG Pro v0.991

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
From: mell...@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger)
Sender: n...@cs.psu.edu (Usenet)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1992 21:13:05 GMT

In article <Paula_Lieberman.0...@amicol.UUCP> Paula_Lieber...@amicol.UUCP
(Paula Lieberman) writes:

   Some market research company or other indicated that something like 19,200
   NeXts were shipped in 1991... k not exactly the world's bestselling
   computer.....

There were approximately 39,000 NeXTs sold as of January 1992.
Currently I hear that NeXT is selling at a rate of around 30,000/year.
The number of NeXTstep machines should increase later this when
NeXTstep/486 (and 586) becomes available.  Also, the introduction of
the RISC NeXT later this year should also greatly significantly
increase sells.  The RISC NeXT will be based on the Motorola 88110,
and it will be 3 to 4 times faster than the current 25MHz 68040
NeXTstation.  This will make it 9 to 12 times faster than the Amiga
3000.

Btw, the number of computers sold doesn't necessarily mean a lot.  Sun
has only sold 500,000 SPARCstations and Commodore has sold 3 million
Amigas.  Which company has gained a better foothold in the business
market?  Many of the Amigas sold are the $500 Amiga 500s, a fine
machine for the price, but it's not a business machine.  NeXT and Sun
won't sell you a computer for less than $5000.

Finally, if we were interested in buying the world's best selling
computer then we'd all own PC clones.  Most of us are more interested
in buying the world's best computer (NOTE: our views may differ here.
:-))

-Mike

>   Some market research company or other indicated that something like 19,200
>   NeXts were shipped in 1991... k not exactly the world's bestselling
>   computer.....
>
>There were approximately 39,000 NeXTs sold as of January 1992.
>Currently I hear that NeXT is selling at a rate of around 30,000/year.
>The number of NeXTstep machines should increase later this when
>NeXTstep/486 (and 586) becomes available.  Also, the introduction of
>the RISC NeXT later this year should also greatly significantly
>increase sells.  The RISC NeXT will be based on the Motorola 88110,
>and it will be 3 to 4 times faster than the current 25MHz 68040
>NeXTstation.  This will make it 9 to 12 times faster than the Amiga
>3000.

Has NeXT announced that there will be a RISC NeXTstation by the end of this
year, or are you speculating?  Any predictions on what the base price of it
will be?

Francis