Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
From: c...@marlin.jcu.edu.au ()
Subject: Improving the Amiga (long, no not just long, massive)
Sender: c...@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 92 14:29:54 GMT

Firstly, C= should supply a startup configuration program with the system.
It should allow people to do the following :

1) Choose what devices are mounted
2) Choose what programs are made resident (improve the system
so it trashes resident programs that aren't being used under low-memory
too).
3) Choose what programs are run

A program with a GUI could edit the startup-sequence in a manner
than ensured it didn't stuff up.  People wouldn't need to know
the user-startup/startup-sequence existed.

People will say why not just put the stuff in the WBStartup Drawer.
Well I don't like the WBStartup Drawer.  Why should you have to
move or have 2 copies of programs floating around?  At least the
Mac has icon aliases.

While we're at it, we need a Task list program, to allow the
Priority of tasks to be changed (not a CLI program).  Windows has
this.  Windows also allows programs to be frozen/killed/etc.  Obviously
there are problems with killing tasks on the Amiga, but the rest can
be done.

A WB program to do links would be good too.  I know some of these
things exist on Fish, but C= should be supplying them, for the
WB.  So many of the things on public domain which are written to supply
user's needs end up crashing the system constantly, if they work at
all.  If C= were not so understaffed in the OS department, they
might be able to supply some of this software.

C= should :-

1) put a decent GUI on the HDToolBox program.
2) allow a clock in the WB title bar.  Come on C=, this can't be
too hard.
3) make WB multi-threaded.
4) make it easier to create a icon for a program that doesn't have one.
5) give history scroll back on shells
6) make Ed usable (worst editor in existance, makes vi look user-friendly).
7) make it possible to save shell sessions to a file (ala UNIX script)
8) add basic necessities to allow people to do something with their
computer when they bring it home (comms/graphics/wordprocessor).  Hell,
Olaf Barthel is crying out for C= to take Term.
9) add decent manual pages for cli commands.
10) make any sort of decent use of the Help button.  Windows help under
all programs is excellent and standard.
11) add a builtin no-click.  How about detecting the types of drives in
the system or something.  Maybe a file that comes with the drive
telling the system what type of drive it is etc.
12) add a HD caching system.  The one for Windows is intelligent.
13) dump MEmacs, or at least made it look like an Amiga program.
Maybe Andy could have done this if he was still at C=...
14) add a decent shell, with at least command history.  It isn't hard
guys.  Even MS-DOS has DosKey.  Most people who use the shell
probably have a PD program.  Type man tcsh for ideas.
15) scrap their stupid scripting language.
16) add a file manager like SID.
17) allow people to configure the mouse button functions like
X.
18) make some form of basic networking standard ala Parnet.
19) add a standard animation system and sound player (not just
for displaybeep).   The Amiga has these abilities, why not use them?
Speech is also underused.
20) allow programs to save their settings upon shutting WB.  Then the
next time you run a program it could appear in the same place/size etc.
Changing numbers in the Infomation window is hardly a good solution.
At least have an option in the shell to tell you the dimensions
for the tooltypes.
21) design a system to allow people to find out what tooltypes a
program takes easily.  Ideally it should be possible from the Infomation
menu.
22) make it possible to get a file requester from the Execute
option on WB.  How about a GUI file search while you're at it.
Hell, matt will give you his if you can't program one yourself
(he'd even fix it if you paid him :-)).
23) fix the icon editor to handle large icons.  Scroll bars?
24) get BASIC back.  Microsoft have fixed most of the bugs.
25) buy quiet disk drives!
26) drop the color program from the Tools directory.  It is
rubbish.
27) add some of autocli's functionality.
28) add the shell as a menu option
29) allow people to startup with windows open on the desktop (like
a HD window)
30) implement tearoff menus (ala OpenWindows).  They are *really* cool.
No wait, matt thinks they're awesome.

That should keep them busy.

This has been another in the continuing series of
"Improvements to the Amiga", by Matt Crowd and Colin Adams.

--
Colin Adams       Honours Student - James Cook University of North Queensland
                "In case of doubt, make it sound convincing