Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.desqview
From: l...@cs.cornell.edu (Lew Jansen)
Subject: DV/X or OS/2???
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1992 19:11:55 GMT

	  Okay, here's a couple of questions.  The FAQ, while quite
	informative, didn't really provide the information I was
	looking for; so now I turn to the net.

	  I want to be able to easily do multitasking on my home
	system, say some text editting while downloading, perhaps some
	simple compiling while dealing with quicken, a game or two
	here and there, etc.  I have no need of networking abilities,
	as there I have only one machine at home.

	  My preference is that of a windowed environment, as I am used
	to X11R4 on Suns at work.  I've played with DesqView386, which
	was borrowed from Cornell's Software Lending Library.  I
	wasn't all that happy with the interface, preferring to be
	able to have multiple windows displayed on the same graphics
	screen.  I've mucked about with MSWindows and wasn't thrilled.

	  It appears that I have the choice of either OS/2 V2.0 or
	DV/X.  In either case, I will have to boost my system memory
	by a couple of meg (4 meg current) and add some more hard disk
	to my 386dx/25.  I do wish to maintain the ability to run
	certain pieces of DOS software, which is why I haven't thoroughly
	tossed out the system and brought in linux et al.

	  So, with OS/2 at $99 (or a little less) for the MSDOS
	upgrade, what reasons would I have to pay more for DV/X?  List
	price for DV/X is $275, right?  What are the street prices
	like?  I do not currently own anything from QOS, so I can't go
	for the $100 upgrade I've heard about (tho I may have heard
	wrong).

--
    -- Lewis R. Jansen, N2KNV            l...@helios.tn.cornell.edu
    LASSP/LNS Systems Manager                (607) 255-6065

|>   I want to be able to easily do multitasking on my home
|> system, say some text editting while downloading, perhaps some
|> simple compiling while dealing with quicken, a game or two
|> here and there, etc.  I have no need of networking abilities,
|> as there I have only one machine at home.

    {delted stuff}

|>   So, with OS/2 at $99 (or a little less) for the MSDOS
|> upgrade, what reasons would I have to pay more for DV/X?

  Where DV/X will be of most interest is in a UNIX enviorment.
DV/X wiil allow a 386 PC to run any UNIX software and any MW
Windows and DOS text programs to be run on a UNIX system as
long as the X-Window software is install on the UNIX system.

|>   List price for DV/X is $275, right?  What are the street
|> prices like?

  Just this weekend I saw DV/X at Egghead at $224 and at
CompUSA for $179.

| Greg Alheid               |  Everything is going well so I am    |
| alh...@pittpa.cray.com    |  not sure what the problem is.   8^) |

>|>   I want to be able to easily do multitasking on my home
>|> system, say some text editting while downloading, perhaps some
>|> simple compiling while dealing with quicken, a game or two
>|> here and there, etc.  I have no need of networking abilities,
>|> as there I have only one machine at home.
>|>
>    {delted stuff}
>|>
>|>   So, with OS/2 at $99 (or a little less) for the MSDOS
>|> upgrade, what reasons would I have to pay more for DV/X?
>
>  Where DV/X will be of most interest is in a UNIX enviorment.
>DV/X wiil allow a 386 PC to run any UNIX software and any MW
>Windows and DOS text programs to be run on a UNIX system as
>long as the X-Window software is install on the UNIX system.
>
>|>   List price for DV/X is $275, right?  What are the street
>|> prices like?
>
>  Just this weekend I saw DV/X at Egghead at $224 and at
>CompUSA for $179.

Yeah, but to do anything in a UNIX environment (in order to be useful,
in other words) you have to have the TCP/IP net manager stuff for
DV/X, which means another $200.  Then there's the issue of window
managers for DV/X.

Frankly, I think DV/X has priced itself right out of the market.  It'd
be handy to run, but I can't personally justify throwing all that
money at it to get what I think should have been in the base product
in the first place.

[Now if only OS/2 would come up with an X-client mode for the layered
networking package rather than just X-server (with support for doing
the OS/2 and Windows stuff in an X window on the server, of course).]

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden