From: jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: My OS/2 quit booting!
Date: 24 Jun 1992 20:59:59 GMT
Sender: use...@lib.tmc.edu

I suffered a power glitch yesterday. When I came home last night, my system
wouldn't boot OS/2, either from the hard disk or from the install disks. If
I tried to boot from the hard disk, it would show me the full-size logo,
clear the screen, and then hang with the cursor on line 7 or so of an otherwise
blank screen. Booting from the installation floppies produced various
symptoms; twice it complained about not being able to load a file, and once
it stopped with an 8-digit hex number (starting with c) at the top of the
screen. I wasn't able to get it going at all.

My system is a Mylex 386SX-16 motherboard with 8 meg of motherboard memory and
2 meg in a slot; a DTC disk controller, driving an ST-4096 (as C: and E:) and
a Maxtor XT-1140 (as D:, a single FAT volume); a Trident 9000; a Mouse Systems
bus mouse as COM2:; and other miscellany. It all ran fine two days ago, before
the glitch. OS/2 is installed on E:. The BIOS is Phoenix 1.10.

Help! I guess the next step is to try pulling out memory one hunk at a time,
but I'd kinda like to avoid that... The "boot with cursor on a blank screen"
symptom is one I'd seen before, when goign from DOS to OS/2 via an alt-ctl-del
or the reset button and terminating the memory test early. I'm otherwise at
a loss.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by a .sig virus.