From: ucga...@ucl.ac.uk (Dominik Wujastyk)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.msdos.desqview
Subject: OS/2 as a replacement for DesqView?
Date: 3 Jul 92 09:40:36 GMT

I have a comfortable setup using DOS 5.0 and DesqView 386.  There
are several little quirks, and the system crashes every so often,
but it comes up again without trouble on such occasions.

In other words, I can have Procomm downloading something in one
window, emTeX working away at something elsewhere, and be writing
a letter to someone using Signature in a third.  Etc.  A common
enough scenario, I expect.  A sharp couple of taps to the Alt key
and I'm in another job.

Mostly I'm happy with DOS programs.  I feel no need for a graphics
interface.  Sometimes I need a program with more linear memory
than DOS allows, so I compile with gcc using go32.  This has
given me a "big" diff, dvips, emTeX, PATGEN, and some others.

However,  I am very aware that basically the tools I am using,
DOS+DesqView, are kludges where multitasking and "big" programming
are concerned, and I am attracted by the idea of a robust 32bit
system built from the ground up for multitasking DOS and other
programs.  I don't seem to have any Windows programs yet, but
that may change, I suppose.

The question I have is this:  is it worth getting some extra
memory (my disk is big enough) and switching to OS/2, just
for the multitasking and the 32-bit programme environment?
Or will I just be swapping one set of niggles for another?

The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is very much
in my mind, and my present system isn't broke on any strict
sense of the word.

I am especially interested in hearing from other DesqView users
who have gone over to OS/2.  All the reviews seem to compare
OS/2 with Windows, and that isn't my starting point.

Many thanks,

Dominik