From: stan.spo...@satalink.com (Stan Spotts)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: ZACHMANN LEAVES ZIFF!
Date: 5 Jul 92 21:05:00 GMT

     04-Jul-92  14:33:19         Sb: #Independence Declaration
 Fm: William F. Zachmann         To: All

I can think of no better occasion than the Fourth of July to declare
independence from those who would dictate the content of what I
write.  Over the past several months, I have been repeatedly
subject to what I feel to be inappropriate and improper pressure
from PC Week in regard to my views on Microsoft and Windows,
IBM and OS/2.

I had hoped that this was a temporary aberration that would soon
be corrected.  Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.
I have therefore sent notice to the Ziff-Davis Publishing Company
that I do not intend to renew my agreement with them when its
current term expires at the end of September.

I believe that Mr. William Ziff, Jr. is genuinely committed to
editorial integrity and independence.  Unfortunately, I think
Mr. Ziff is being ill-served by some of his employees who do
not share that commitment.  I am concerned that the regretable
tendency to shape editorial content to please a major advertiser
(Microsoft in this case) which I have noted in some competing
publications is being imported into the Ziff-Davis Publishing
Company.

If you share my concern, you may want to write to

  Mr. William Ziff, Jr.
  Ziff Davis Communications
  One Park Avenue
  New York, NY, 10016

and let him know
what you think.  Please feel free to repost this messages
elsewhere if you wish.

William F. Zachmann