From: Alan_Y...@mindlink.bc.ca (Alan York)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: ZACHMANN LEAVES ZIFF!
Date: 6 Jul 92 05:30:08 GMT

Having just read the July issue of PC Magazine, and noting the significant
advertising by IBM and its OS/2 partners, I wonder in light of William
Zachmann's concern of biasing editorial content to satisfy major advertisers if
the trend will now swing to force pro-IBM editorial content.

I never noticed that Microsoft's ads were any more prolific than any other
advertisers. I guess maybe their ads lack impact.
>Having just read the July issue of PC Magazine, and noting the significant
>advertising by IBM and its OS/2 partners, I wonder in light of William
>Zachmann's concern of biasing editorial content to satisfy major advertisers if
>the trend will now swing to force pro-IBM editorial content.
>
>I never noticed that Microsoft's ads were any more prolific than any other
>advertisers. I guess maybe their ads lack impact.
>--

>        alan_y...@mindlink.bc.ca  |  Vancouver, B.C., Canada    604/294-9193

Alan:

I don't believe it is just Microsoft alone but all Windows advertising and
over an extended period of time.  IMHO, the magazines will wait to see if
OS/2 is just a "flash" in the pan.  Of course, OS/2 Monthly Magazine doesn't
believe OS/2 is just a flash.

BTW, I can say, speaking only for myself, that there is zero pressure on me
at OS/2 Monthly Magazine.  My agreement says what I write is what goes in
without a change.  Have some tried pressure?   Yes, without going into the
specifics, Joel (the publisher) got pressure because of my first two columns.
He stood by our agreement and the magazine's independence.

Bert.