Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: e...@irenaeus.mlo.dec.com (Eric James Ewanco)
Subject: Letter to ZD editors-in-chief
Sender: newsdae...@engage.pko.dec.com (USENET News Daemon)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1992 19:19:11 GMT

From:	KALI::EWANCO "Eric James Ewanco "  9-JUL-1992 11:25:40.98
To:	Sam Whitmore, Editor in Chief, PC Week <2493...@mcimail.com>,
Michael Miller, Editor in Chief, PC Magazine <2478...@mcimail.com>,
William Machrone, Publishing Director, PC Magazine <2383...@mcimail.com>
CC:	William Zachmann <3669...@mcimail.com>
Subj:	Microsoft Pressures Ziff-Davis

Mr. Whitmore, Mr. Miller, Mr. Machrone:

I had been hearing rumors, but I thought for sure that Ziff-Davis would have
more sense, more pride, more ethics and more sense of responsibility to do what
they were accused of.  At the time, I found no real evidence that the
rumor was true.  But now, after reading the article in the Boston Herald
("Writer: Software co. called the shots", p. 35, 9 Jul 1992) about the protests
of Mr. Zachmann, the rumors appear to be true: Ziff-Davis has compromised its
journalistic integrity by bowing to the deranged demands of a 36-something year
old baby.  Billy Gates throws a temper tantrum and demands that ZD favor
Microsoft Windows and censor support of OS/2.

Gentlemen, I ask you.  Who was it that make Microsoft Windows popular?  Do you
think that ten million copies of Windows would be sold if your magazines had
ignored it?  Microsoft owes the popularity of Windows to ZD, and ZD alone.
Yet, somehow, they have hoodwinked you into thinking that you they can do
without you.  They cannot do without you.  Instead of arrogantly demanding the
right to censor your magazine, they should be wooing you and giving you royal
treatment.

More seriously, you have compromised your journalistic integrity by allowing
one company to dictate what you write.  I realize that Microsoft pays a lot in
advertising.  But does Microsoft keep ZD afloat?  ZD is extraordinarily
successful.  If losing Microsoft advertising will cause so much financial
hemmorage, I suggest approaching WordPerfect, Borland, Lotus, and other
Microsoft competitors and encouraging them to purchase more advertising space
to support your magazine against Microsoft.

Ziff-Davis made Microsoft Windows.  It can also unmake Microsoft Windows.  Take
a stand.  If Microsoft demands exclusive treatment, tell them to go take a
flying leap.  I tell you the truth, Microsoft will live or die at the decision
of ZD publications.  You tell people what's popular and what's not.  You tell
people which products to buy.  The PC industry is such that no one makes a move
without consulting what your magazine says.  I for one would never even think
of buying a computer that had not been reviewed in PC Magazine.  PC Week is the
foremost computer industry newspaper, and defines the entire PC industry. You
are in the power seat, not Billy.  If I were you, I'd call up Gates right now,
tell him to get lost and not bother advertising in my magazine anymore, because
we aren't going to publish your advertisements, nor are we going to review your
products, until you cease and desist your abhorrent behavior and apologize to
us.

OK, supposing you deny it all and swear up and down you haven't done this.
Maybe you're right, but considering how much you've praised Microsoft Windows,
and considering Microsoft's dirty-tricks reputation, it is certainly quite
plausible, and the rumor is hurting your magazine, and you need to take
positive steps to counter it, such as standing up to Microsoft and telling
them, publicly, that they have no business calling your editors and pressuring
them into conformance (as Mr. Zachmann has claimed).  Make it clear that, even
if there had been any compromises, there is certainly no compromise anymore.
This certainly requires a stern rebuke of Microsoft at the very least.

If the accusations are correct, and you know if they are or not, then get with
it, stop acting like cowards, stand up for what is right and ethical, and save
your journalistic reputation and the trust of your readers.  If you handle this
situation right, you can sell more magazines.  Heck I'd publish a special issue
on the whole thing, detailing the situation, exposing what Microsoft has done,
apologizing for error or the appearance of error, and encouraging condemnation
of Microsoft for practices bordering on violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust
Act.  THAT would sell magazines.  Borland, Lotus, and WordPerfect would support
you.  And the only people who would cancel their subscriptions would be
Microsoft execs.  And unfortunately I think it is too late to ignore the rumor
and hope that it goes away.  The die has been cast.  Ziff-Davis must respond by
affirming its submission to Microsoft, or declaring its independence.

This message is directed to you each individually, not as a Letter to the
Editor, but if you wish you are free to print it (yeah right, sure you would).

Eric Ewanco
Software Engineer
ewa...@kali.enet.dec.com
MCI Mail EEWANCO