Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer,comp.sys.amiga.hardware
From: a...@wucs1.wustl.edu (Adam Costello)
Subject: Attn Commodore: You are making a Big Mistake (Hardware Manual)
Sender: use...@wuecl.wustl.edu (News Administrator)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 00:00:37 GMT

One of the things I loved most about my old C-64 was the custom
hardware.  It was documented, so I could program it, experiment with
it, and play with it.

One of the main reasons I chose to buy an Amiga was that I was
impressed by the hardware.  I knew that there was much less useful
software for the Amiga, but that's not what turns me on.

For people who want their computers to be productive and don't want to
have to think too hard, there's Apple and IBM.  For people who want to
enjoy their computers, and especially for people who want to enjoy
programming their computers, there's Amiga.

If Commodore refuses to release a hardware manual for future Amigas,
they will be betraying their most loyal customers, the very customers
for whom IBM and Apple were never even an option.  Commodore should
compete by striving to be different from its competitors, not by trying
to mimic them.  Compatibility has always been one of the strengths of
IBM and Apple.  Capability has always been the strength of Amiga.  The
Amiga can do things other computers simply cannot do, but only if
programmers know how the machine works.

If the OS is documented, programmers can choose to use it for
compatibility.  If the hardware is documented, programmers can choose
to use it for capability.  If both are documented, the programmer has a
choice.  It's a trade-off that is best evaluated by the programmer on a
per-program basis, not once-and-for-all by Commodore.

If Commodore fails to document the hardware, lots of Commodore's paying
customers will suffer.  They may even desert.

And if none of the above is convincing, consider this: hackers will
figure out much of the hardware anyway, but not all of it, which is an
even more dangerous situation than the one Commodore is afraid of.  If
Commodore does document the hardware, at least hardware programmers
have a chance to know what they're doing, and Commodore can make some
money from books sales.

It's not too late for a change-of-mind!

AMC