From: os2...@panix.com (Larry Salomon Jr.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: More advertising
Date: 29 Dec 92 13:52:15 GMT

Since no one decided to respond to the initial advertising thread I attempted
to start (maybe I tried it in comp.os.os2.misc?  I can't remember anymore...),
I'll try with another one.  Again, I'm interested in reading any ad ideas you
can come up with (and I know there are IBMers who read this and are probably
interested also).  Here's the idea for this one:

<Radio ad>
"With an operating system that can run all of your DOS, Windows, and OS/2
applications, using your computer is as simple as 1-2-3...or dBase IV...
or Ami Pro...(start to fade) or CorelDraw...or Describe...or Microsoft Excel
(etc. ad nauseum)"  Meanwhile, once the voice starts to fade you get the
overdubbed deeper voice (but not too deep) take the foreground:  "OS/2 2.0
for your personal computer.  Requires an Intel or compatible 80386 or better
CPU with 4 megabytes of memory and 30 megabytes hard disk space.  To order,
call 1-800-3IBMOS2.  Product names are trademarks of their respective owners."

As with the TV ad last time, this has a two page analogue for a magazine.  The
first page would be the first voice, with the fade represented by continually
shrinking point sizes and the second page would be the deeper voice.  I would
use a white Helvetica font for the first page on a black background, and have
the OS/2 logo in the middle of the second page with the type below it.

What is something you can come up with?

Cheers,
"If you choose not to decide, you  | "My other body is in the shop" - seen
 still have made a choice" - Rush  |  on a T-shirt

>Since no one decided to respond to the initial advertising thread I attempted
>to start (maybe I tried it in comp.os.os2.misc?  I can't remember anymore...),
>I'll try with another one.  Again, I'm interested in reading any ad ideas you
>can come up with (and I know there are IBMers who read this and are probably
>interested also).  Here's the idea for this one:
>
><Radio ad>
>"With an operating system that can run all of your DOS, Windows, and OS/2
					^^^

	Pull this word.

>applications, using your computer is as simple as 1-2-3...or dBase IV...
>or Ami Pro...(start to fade) or CorelDraw...or Describe...or Microsoft Excel
>(etc. ad nauseum)"  Meanwhile, once the voice starts to fade you get the
>overdubbed deeper voice (but not too deep) take the foreground:  "OS/2 2.0
>for your personal computer.  Requires an Intel or compatible 80386 or better
>CPU with 4 megabytes of memory and 30 megabytes hard disk space.  To order,
>call 1-800-3IBMOS2.  Product names are trademarks of their respective owners."

	Can't we be honest?  OS/2 takes more than 30 megs of HD space
	and a lot more than 4 megs of RAM.  This is part of the problem--
	you can't solve it by promoting the same lies.  Come on, OS/2
	*needs* at least 6 to function -- sluggishly! -- but 4 is a
	joke (yes, I've tried it post SP).  If IBM would allow you to boot
	w/o the WPS, it might be better, but that pretty much makes the
	system useless.  (There's only so much benefit you get from OS/2
	wit one fullscreen prompt).

>As with the TV ad last time, this has a two page analogue for a magazine.  The
>first page would be the first voice, with the fade represented by continually
>shrinking point sizes and the second page would be the deeper voice.  I would
>use a white Helvetica font for the first page on a black background, and have
>the OS/2 logo in the middle of the second page with the type below it.

	Helvetica?  Boring.

	Frankly, if IBM wanted to make an impression, they'd hire
	the company that's handled Dell's ad campaign for the last
	year and a half.  I particularly liked the "last cheap shot"
	ones.

>What is something you can come up with?
>
>Cheers,
>--
>"If you choose not to decide, you  | "My other body is in the shop" - seen
> still have made a choice" - Rush  |  on a T-shirt

	Blaming society for your problems is like blaming clouds for rain.
	---
	Do I even need to point out that my views do not represent
	those of my employer, institution or relations?

>>"With an operating system that can run all of your DOS, Windows, and OS/2
>					^^^
>	Pull this word.

You're being unnecessarily pedantic - there's NO OS that meets the criterion
you're holding OS/2 up to.

>	Can't we be honest?  OS/2 takes more than 30 megs of HD space

Hahahaha. It can be installed quite nicely in less than 30.

>	and a lot more than 4 megs of RAM.  This is part of the problem--
>	you can't solve it by promoting the same lies.  Come on, OS/2
>	*needs* at least 6 to function -- sluggishly! -- but 4 is a

It works just fine in 6. This is yet more FUD.

>	joke (yes, I've tried it post SP).  If IBM would allow you to boot
>	w/o the WPS, it might be better, but that pretty much makes the
>	system useless.  (There's only so much benefit you get from OS/2
>	wit one fullscreen prompt).

I guess you didn't try SET RUNWORKPLACE=CMD.EXE, then, did you? It allows you
to take advantage of everything but the WPS; in particular, you get all of the
PM support and multitasking facilities.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by stupidity.

>>>"With an operating system that can run all of your DOS, Windows, and OS/2
>>					^^^
>>	Pull this word.
>
>You're being unnecessarily pedantic - there's NO OS that meets the criterion
>you're holding OS/2 up to.

	So we're agreed that using the word "all" is a lie, right?  So
	*pull the word*.

>>	Can't we be honest?  OS/2 takes more than 30 megs of HD space
>
>Hahahaha. It can be installed quite nicely in less than 30.

	Sure, if you choose to forego DOS or Windows support.  Note that
	I am aware that you can do without all of the piggish junk that
	OS/2 installs--chess, terminal, blah--but OS/2 + DOS + WIN + Swap
	isgoing to be 30 megs or more-- a LOT more on a 4 or 6 meg
	system.

>>	and a lot more than 4 megs of RAM.  This is part of the problem--
>>	you can't solve it by promoting the same lies.  Come on, OS/2
>>	*needs* at least 6 to function -- sluggishly! -- but 4 is a
>
>It works just fine in 6. This is yet more FUD.

	Bullshit.  OS/2 in 6 "works" but it does not "work just fine".
	It's sluggish, and it runs the DOS and Windows programs promoted
	above dog slow.  Still, like I said, change it to 6 (instead of
	four) and I would have no objection.  Imagine the ridicule MS
	would get if they promoted Windows 3.1 on a 8 mhz AT with 2 megs
	of RAM.

>>	joke (yes, I've tried it post SP).  If IBM would allow you to boot
>>	w/o the WPS, it might be better, but that pretty much makes the
>>	system useless.  (There's only so much benefit you get from OS/2
>>	wit one fullscreen prompt).
>
>I guess you didn't try SET RUNWORKPLACE=CMD.EXE, then, did you? It allows you
>to take advantage of everything but the WPS; in particular, you get all of the
>PM support and multitasking facilities.

	OTOH, it also makes the system a pain in the ass to use.  IBM
	needs to come out with an alternative, non-piggish fewer-featured
	shell if they want to make 4 and 6 meg users really happy.

	They've done a so/so job with the SP--it certainly performs better
	under 4 megs than the GA did, but better than "useless garbage"
	is still not very good.  Maybe "bearable to play with but useless
	for general work" is a good way to describe the SP on 4 megs.

>--
>Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
>jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by stupidity.
> "Brought to you by the letters O, S, and by the number 2." -- Mike Levis

--
	Blaming society for your problems is like blaming clouds for rain.
	---
	Do I even need to point out that my views do not represent
	those of my employer, institution or relations?

>	So we're agreed that using the word "all" is a lie, right?  So
>	*pull the word*.

As I said, you're being unnecessarily pedantic, especially in light of other
OS ads which say the same thing. I'll buy that only if you'll argue the same
thing for all other OSes out there.

>	Sure, if you choose to forego DOS or Windows support.  Note that
>	I am aware that you can do without all of the piggish junk that
>	OS/2 installs--chess, terminal, blah--but OS/2 + DOS + WIN + Swap
>	isgoing to be 30 megs or more-- a LOT more on a 4 or 6 meg
>	system.

Nope. Several other folks have already posted that they do just fine in a 30
meg partition. I did a full install, and fit it all into a 40 meg partition
with 9 meg left over.

>	Bullshit.  OS/2 in 6 "works" but it does not "work just fine".
>	It's sluggish, and it runs the DOS and Windows programs promoted
>	above dog slow.  Still, like I said, change it to 6 (instead of
>	four) and I would have no objection.  Imagine the ridicule MS
>	would get if they promoted Windows 3.1 on a 8 mhz AT with 2 megs
>	of RAM.

Again, other folks have already refuted this one. OS/2 works just fine in 6
meg.

[about SET RUNWORKPLACE=CMD.EXE]
>	OTOH, it also makes the system a pain in the ass to use.  IBM
>	needs to come out with an alternative, non-piggish fewer-featured
>	shell if they want to make 4 and 6 meg users really happy.

How does it make the system a pain in the ass to use? If you want GUI
functionality, run WPS. If you don't, don't run it. If you don't want it, then
don't complain that you don't get it.

>	They've done a so/so job with the SP--it certainly performs better
>	under 4 megs than the GA did, but better than "useless garbage"
>	is still not very good.  Maybe "bearable to play with but useless
>	for general work" is a good way to describe the SP on 4 megs.

IYHO, please. Others have reported that they're happy with how it runs in 4
meg.

[BTW, quoting others' .signatures is a useless waste of bandwidth.]
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by stupidity.
 "Brought to you by the letters O, S, and by the number 2." -- Mike Levis

>>>					^^^
>>>	Pull this word.
>>
>>You're being unnecessarily pedantic - there's NO OS that meets the criterion
>>you're holding OS/2 up to.

>	So we're agreed that using the word "all" is a lie, right?  So
>	*pull the word*.

Okay, we'll pull the word "all".  How's this sound as a replacement:

	...with an operating system that runs more DOS programs than MS DOS 5,
	more Windows programs than Windows 3.1, and all OS/2 programs.

Is this better?

>>	So we're agreed that using the word "all" is a lie, right?  So
>>	*pull the word*.
>
>Okay, we'll pull the word "all".  How's this sound as a replacement:
>
>	...with an operating system that runs more DOS programs than MS DOS 5,
>	more Windows programs than Windows 3.1, and all OS/2 programs.
>
>Is this better?

	Let me ask:  Is it everyones opinion that OS/2 is sucha bad
	product that it cannot stand on it's merits alone and that we
	have to buffer these merits with blatant lies?

	1) OS/2 does NOT run more DOS programs than DOS5.  If it does,
	I must be doing something wrong.  For instance, Autocad doesn't
	seem to run so well. Neither does Comanche:Maximum Overkill.

	2) OS/2 might run more Windows programs than 3.1 if you include
	ancient programs and cheezy shareware, but I don't and neither
	do most customers.  I think it's a little dishonest to
	pretend that the ability to run ancient 2.x programs outweighs
	the ability to run currently released applications.  In fact,
	incompatibility with unupdated programs is almost *assumed*,
	while compatibility with all present releases -- at the
	very least -- is implied by the word "more".

	3) Some older 16 bit OS/2 programs broke under OS/2 2.0, or
	so I've heard.  I do not stand by this last statement, but I
	am almost certain it is true.

	*Why* is it necessary to lie?  If you're going to put a qualifier
	in there, put an HONEST one, like "most".  I prefer not confusing
	people and just omitting the qualifier altogether.

--
	Blaming society for your problems is like blaming clouds for rain.
	         ---  Boycott == censorship == cowardice  ---
	Do I even need to point out that my views do not represent
	those of my employer, institution or relations?

>	Let me ask:  Is it everyones opinion that OS/2 is sucha bad
>	product that it cannot stand on it's merits alone and that we
>	have to buffer these merits with blatant lies?

(stuff deleted)
>	*Why* is it necessary to lie?  If you're going to put a qualifier
>	in there, put an HONEST one, like "most".  I prefer not confusing
>	people and just omitting the qualifier altogether.

Here in finland most of the OS/2 adds say something like "most" or
"almost every" etc. And they mention 6 MB of memory and 80 MB disk...
Actually the memory requirement is that 6 MB and the proposed is 8 MB.

>>	Let me ask:  Is it everyones opinion that OS/2 is sucha bad
>>	product that it cannot stand on it's merits alone and that we
>>	have to buffer these merits with blatant lies?
>>
>(stuff deleted)
>>	*Why* is it necessary to lie?  If you're going to put a qualifier
>>	in there, put an HONEST one, like "most".  I prefer not confusing
>>	people and just omitting the qualifier altogether.
>
>Here in finland most of the OS/2 adds say something like "most" or
>"almost every" etc. And they mention 6 MB of memory and 80 MB disk...
>Actually the memory requirement is that 6 MB and the proposed is 8 MB.

	Well, let's hear it for IBM Finland!

	<Doesn't change the situation in America and elsewhere
	though.  .. Maybe a letter to IBM saying how great the
	finland ad/packaging is would get the point across...>