From: I.A.In...@newcastle.ac.uk (I.A. Inman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Why are they ignoring the Amiga?
Date: 10 Jan 93 14:58:35 GMT
Originator: n08dp@tuda

In article <stefan.3...@terapin.com>, ste...@terapin.com (Stefan Eguizabal) writes:
> From an Amiga user (and lover) to anyone:
>         Why is it that all the big PC and Macintosh devolopers seem to be
> ignoring the Amiga? Don't big companies like Microsoft, Claris, Lotus, and
> Cricket realize what a treasure a community like the Amiga is? Many Amiga users
> are desperate for good productivity software, and yet are adamant about not
> going over to IBM or Apple, because the Amiga is definitely the superior
> computer. I am one of those. If Microsoft came out with Word or Excel today, I
> would go out and buy it, no matter how much it cost, because programs like
> Professional Calc (Gold Disk), and MaxiPlan (The Disc Comapany) are like big
> jokes...they're really pathetic! Somebody, please, you've got to know!

The only way to convince, say Microsoft to do this would be to convince them that
there would be sufficient return.

If such companies would wake up to the size of the European Amiga market, I think
they would soon change their minds.

>>         Why is it that all the big PC and Macintosh devolopers seem to be
>> ignoring the Amiga? Don't big companies like Microsoft, Claris, Lotus, and
>> Cricket realize what a treasure a community like the Amiga is? Many Amiga users
>> are desperate for good productivity software, and yet are adamant about not
>> going over to IBM or Apple, because the Amiga is definitely the superior
>> computer. I am one of those. If Microsoft came out with Word or Excel today, I
>> would go out and buy it, no matter how much it cost, because programs like
>> Professional Calc (Gold Disk), and MaxiPlan (The Disc Comapany) are like big
>> jokes...they're really pathetic! Somebody, please, you've got to know!
>
>The only way to convince, say Microsoft to do this would be to convince them that
>there would be sufficient return.
>
>If such companies would wake up to the size of the European Amiga market, I think
>they would soon change their minds.

   Word Perfect Corp. 'woke up to the size of the European Amiga market' and
paid the price for it.  They spent lots of money developing a German-language
version of Amiga WordPerfect and sold it in Germany.  Almost nobody bought
it.

   The problem with the Amiga's base in Europe is that it is composed almost
entirely of A500 owners who do not buy productivity software.  If a big
company did develop Amiga versions of their software in European languages,
they would lose lots and lots of money because none of the Amiga owners in
Europe would buy it.  Amigoids in Europe are far more likely to buy
Lemmings II than a graphical Word Perfect for the Amiga.

---
| Marc Barrett -MB-  |  email: barr...@iastate.edu
"No, I just think that a computer grafted on top of another computer
is a kludge.  It has nothing to do with the AGA chipset." -- me

>The problem with the Amiga's base in Europe is that it is composed almost
>entirely of A500 owners who do not buy productivity software.  If a big
>company did develop Amiga versions of their software in European languages,
>they would lose lots and lots of money because none of the Amiga owners in
>Europe would buy it.  Amigoids in Europe are far more likely to buy
>Lemmings II than a graphical Word Perfect for the Amiga.
>
>---
>| Marc Barrett -MB-  |  email: barr...@iastate.edu

Marc;

I think that is a very poor judgement; there is a strong subculture of Amiga
users with higher-end Amigas in Europe, particularly amongst computer science
students. I have seen it in Germany, Switzerland, and Britain, but I hear it
is also quite strong in Italy and Scandinavia. Personally, I know quite a few
people who use Amigas for professional purposes, some of them self-employed;
none of them, except for one, own an A500. As for corporations, the Amiga has
always had this image of a (powerful) outsider machine, one of the reasons why
I have two, but I think with video applications this is changing in at least
one area. Even one of the national German TV stations, the 'ZDF', is using
Amigas and Video Toasters.

Besides, I was born in Europe and I have lived there for many years, and I own
an A2000 and an A3000, not an A500. Plus I've spent at least $1000 on software
over the past four and a half years, since I bought my A2000. I have grown up
with the Amiga; right now I am about to embark on my doctorate--guess what it'll
be written on? excellence! and PageStream.

Nikolaj (1)

__________

(1) Nikolaj Peddie-Richers, Trent University, Canada, nrich...@trentu.ca

>>         Why is it that all the big PC and Macintosh devolopers seem to be
>> ignoring the Amiga? Don't big companies like Microsoft, Claris, Lotus, and
>> Cricket realize what a treasure a community like the Amiga is? Many Amiga users
>
>The only way to convince, say Microsoft to do this would be to convince them that
>there would be sufficient return.
>
>If such companies would wake up to the size of the European Amiga market, I think
>they would soon change their minds.

	No they wouldn't. Take a look at the PRICE of software in the US,
	no way would European's pay that much for software. They would also
	see the support nightmare that comes when dealing with umpteen
	languages and local requiresments as opposed to the US's 1.

	Europe offers very little profit for US companys due to tech support
	and multilingual/multilegal problems. Us companys aren't used
	to this sort of environment and don't do well in it. To sell in
	Europe they'd have to lower the cost of the product by QUITE a bit
	in order for people to buy it and also to a HUGE cost hit in
	support and local language capability.

	Notice that even AmigaDOS does a better job of Locale than that
	pinnical of US software, Windows...

		-Rob