From: jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Gordon Letwin and IBM's lawyers
Date: 2 Feb 1993 22:39:35 GMT
Sender: use...@lib.tmc.edu

Last October, Gordon Letwin posted an article in which he accused IBM's legal
department of sending Microsoft a letter in which Gordon was accused of
posting untrue and misleading information about OS/2 2.0, in an attempt to get
him either silenced or fired. John Soyring posted a reply in which he
disavowed any knowledge of such a letter. After Gordon replied that he had in
fact received such a letter and that John must have known about it, and
therefore was lying, I posted a message in which I said that Gordon wanted to
make accusations and not be challenged on them. I also offered, if Gordon
wished, to post a message verifying that the original letter did indeed exist,
if Gordon would fax me a copy of it.

After three months of internal wrangling, Gordon faxed me a copy of the
letter. I have been asked not to quote it, and will not; I will, however,
summarize it briefly. It was sent from Thomas L. Cronan, III, to William T.
Pope, Associate General Counsel for Microsoft Corporation, and is dated April
3, 1992. In the letter, Gordon is accused of disseminating untrue or
misleading information about OS/2's authorship and costs, as well as
disclosing technical info in violation of agreements between IBM and
Microsoft. Finally, Gordon is accused of causing damage to OS/2's marketing
and IBM.

In light of this letter, I retract any allegation I have made that Gordon was
attempting to smear IBM without justification in this matter. The letter
exists, and I will attest to having a copy of it. I am posting this message in
the interests of fairness, and because I believe that someone who has been
attacked in this forum should not go defenseless. I am not going to judge the
truth or falsehood of IBM's argument, as I have insufficient information to do
so. I do not know who within IBM instigated the sending of this letter. I
explicitly will not address Gordon's contention that John knew about the
letter and lied about that knowledge; I have no information on the subject,
and cannot and will not form an opinion. Finally, those who have read my
postings to this group will note that I am no friend of Microsoft; while that
attitude has not changed, I believe that IBM's action was less than honorable,
though I can understand any of several reasons why they may have chosen such a
route.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by stupidity.