Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
From: "roy park" <roy.p...@canrem.com>
Subject: we amiga users....
Date: 20 Apr 93 07:52:16 EST

To my dear fellow Amiga users/owners.... I have just one thing to say.

              WE NEED BETTER SOFTWARE, NOT HARDWARE!

I'm pretty sure some people were disappointed to the fact that the AGA
chipset in fact is interlaced in 800 by 600, no 1280 by 1024 resolution
and so on... but let's fact it... who the hell really uses 1280 by 1024
res on ANY PERSONAL computers for Games and common Word processors?
What, you want to see a nice unreadable 160 characters by 80 characters
on tiny 14 inch screen?  NO!  YOU don't need it, maybe some people who
uses CAD or PCB layout program will use it.. but then, how much of
PERSONAL computer population really do that?  We DO have a nice mode
which already does 640 by 400 * 8 colours with no flicker, which is
more than sufficient for MAJORITY of PERSONAL computer users.  If they
needed higher resolution and more computational power, they'd probably
buy a SGI or Sun without any second thought!  So stop yelling about "WE
NEED A5000 with 1280*1024*24, 16-bit audio, and  PEG!"!

Just because IBM users have access to these 'special' hardwares at extra
cost doesn't mean that they are standardized in anyway YET.
Soundblaster
IS 8-bit, and no game makers really write games for the famous
'1024*768'
SVGA resolution because it would be too slow!  No matter HOW local it is
to the CPU!  Also, I'm aware that MPEG board is available for IBM clones
at a relatively affordable price... but again, WHO THE HELL NEEDS IT?!
What, you gonna be staring at your computer ALL DAY?  Play games on it,
do homeworks on it, do work on it, watch TV on it, then what?  Have sex
with it? (perhaps in the future?)  I MEAN, GET A LIFE!

Here are list of some things that I think Amiga community NEEDS right
NOW:

First of all, WE NEED a GOOD software development tool!  Why the heck
isn't
anyone (Commodore maybe?) work on a easy to use standard (included as a
utility perhaps) user interface ---> code linker  (like Interface
Builder
for NeXT.. if you don't know what that is it's like HyperCard or Amiga-
Visin where C (or even in C++) is used as the script (in a sense)).  We
need to have a GOOD tool in order to attract the developers.. because
TIME IS MONEY!  If developers figure that it's a lot easy to make money
on Amiga platform because they don't have to spend as much time before
they actually come up with the product, they WILL do it!

Secondly... Commodore, PLEASE GIVE US MEMORY PROTECTION AT OS LEVEL!
God
damn it!  How the hell are you planning to support this AmigaOS in the
future if you are not going to do this NOW?  FIX IT UP!

Third... we need REAL programmers!  I mean programmers with EDUCATIONS!
mean we oughtta have some body who can write some really GOOD database
or
word processors!  As I understand it, most of Amiga programmers (except
those people at CBM & other HW/SW developers) are HACKERS... and they
won't
last long.  Ever ask yourself a question "why the heck is MS-Word so
good?"
THAT'S BECAUSE THOSE PEOPLE ARE PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMERS WHO GRADUATED
UNIVERSITIES WITH DEGREE IN COMPUTERSCIENCE (or something equivalent)!
Those people are not morons!  They are fucking good!  If you think that
some high school drop-out (or maybe even a community college graduate)
can
write an equivalently good program, then you are nuts!  Hmm.. ok, calm
myself down here.. so if you are a university student who thinks that
you
are good at all, then WRITE codes for Amiga!  You just have to!  Because
Amiga IS a GOOD machine (could be better, but that's ok..at least
hardware
wise).

And last, READ about your computer... and computers in general, and
learn
about it!  I find most Amiga users pretty much ignorant (or
misunderstood)
about general terms & concepts on nets, and I think it's sad that they
don't really KNOW what great machine they have at home.  Also, reading
about computers in general would be good for them because in the future
it
will eventually serve you well, specially when IBMers trying bash
Amigas! :)

Nobody died to make me God, so I can't really tell Amiga users or
Commodore
(specially!) what o do.. but this is my two cents on what Amiga's future
should be.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...  I don't really know why so many
Amiga
user HATE Macintoshs... there's no need... if you are hating macs
because
you don't own them and they sometimes look better than what you have,
then
you don't deserve an Amiga!  BECAUSE IT IS NOT BETTER!  We may not have
as
many nice application programs or big companies supporting us right now,
--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044

[...]

(continued on next message...)
[...]

And last, READ about our computer... and computers in general, and learn
about it!  I find most Amiga users pretty much ignorant (or
misunderstood)
about general terms & concepts on nets, and I think it's sad that they
don't really KNOW what great machine they have at home.  Also, reading
about computers in general would be good for them because in the future
it
will eventually serve you well, specially when IBMers trying bash
Amigas! :)

Nobody died to make me God, so I can't really tell Amiga users or
Commodore
(specially!) what to do.. but this is my two cents on what Amiga's
future
should be.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...  I don't really know why so many
Amiga
user HATE Macintoshs... there's no need... if you are hating macs
because
you don't own them and they sometimes look better than what you have,
then
you don't deserve an Amiga!  BECAUSE IT IS NOT BETTER!  We may not have
as
many nice application programs or big companies supporting us right now,
but I personally think Macs are about as good as Amigas in some rea, or
maybe better in some other...

So remember two things... Macs are no reason to hate... MB's attitude is
(something like SUPERIOR RACE of computers over the other)... and Macs
are
NOT BETTER than Amiga because they are not as FUN to use.  :)

**********************  rp...@canrem.com  *********************
*  Roy K. Park - "Maybe you CAN split an atom with a knife!"  *
*************  rkp...@1302.watstar.uwaterloo.ca  **************
--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044

>Here are list of some things that I think Amiga community NEEDS right
>NOW:
>
>First of all, WE NEED a GOOD software development tool!  Why the heck
>isn't
>anyone (Commodore maybe?) work on a easy to use standard (included as a
>utility perhaps) user interface ---> code linker  (like Interface
>Builder
>for NeXT.. if you don't know what that is it's like HyperCard or Amiga-
>Visin where C (or even in C++) is used as the script (in a sense)).  We
>need to have a GOOD tool in order to attract the developers.. because
>TIME IS MONEY!  If developers figure that it's a lot easy to make money
>on Amiga platform because they don't have to spend as much time before
>they actually come up with the product, they WILL do it!

     ToolMaker, AppBuilder, and something else whose name I can't remember are
being worked on right now.

>Secondly... Commodore, PLEASE GIVE US MEMORY PROTECTION AT OS LEVEL!
>God
>damn it!  How the hell are you planning to support this AmigaOS in the
>future if you are not going to do this NOW?  FIX IT UP!

     ... and make millions of users without MMUs unable to run the OS?

["Real programmers have college degrees and work for Microsoft" tirade
deleted]

     I think you might just have offended quite a large number of people
here.  Do you have some kind of figures showing that a) Amiga programmers
aren't educated and b) that non-college educated programmers can't write
good code?  (If anything, colleges teach 'em to write huge, bloated, Unix-ish
code :)

>And last, READ about your computer... and computers in general, and
>learn
>about it!  I find most Amiga users pretty much ignorant (or
>misunderstood)
>about general terms & concepts on nets, and I think it's sad that they
>don't really KNOW what great machine they have at home.  Also, reading
>about computers in general would be good for them because in the future
>it
>will eventually serve you well, specially when IBMers trying bash
>Amigas! :)

     It's been my observation that Amiga users in general seem to be more
aware of the technical issues and the market in general than do most PC or
Mac owners (who very often buy their machines because "everybody else
has one and I can get lots of software from work and friends".)

--
Don Lloyd           | Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork |AmigaNetwork Voice Mail
d...@chopin.udel.edu | AmigaNetwork BBS (The Original!)  | Info by voice or FAX

> ["Real programmers have college degrees and work for Microsoft" tirade
> deleted]
>
>      I think you might just have offended quite a large number of people
> here.  Do you have some kind of figures showing that a) Amiga programmers
> aren't educated and b) that non-college educated programmers can't write
> good code?  (If anything, colleges teach 'em to write huge, bloated, Unix-ish
> code :)

After all, Bill Gates flunked out in college and look at that crappy peice of
code called MS-dos that he wrote.

> --
> Don Lloyd           | Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork |AmigaNetwork Voice Mail
> d...@chopin.udel.edu | AmigaNetwork BBS (The Original!)  | Info by voice or FAX
> GeNIE: D.LLOYD7     |    (302)368-3942 (v.32bis)        |    (GVP PhonePak)
> BIX: DRL            |    (302)368-1067 (USR HST)        |    (302)368-4673)

MikeB

Sex, Amiga, and Rock'n Roll!!!!