Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
From: barr...@iastate.edu (Marc N. Barrett)
Subject: A1200 and Mac Quadra 605 Comparison
Sender: n...@news.iastate.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 1994 06:31:26 GMT

   A friend recently got a Mac Quadra 605 system new for $900 including the
keyboard.  I thought I'd put together a comparison of this system with the
A1200, the closest system from Commodore.

                             A1200                    Mac Quadra 605

CPU:                    14Mhz 68EC020                  25Mhz 68LC040
HD Interface:                IDE                            SCSI
External HD Port?             NO                            YES
Hard Drive:                  None                           80M
RAM:                          2M                            4M
Expandable To (on MB):        2M                            32M
Max Non-laced Res.         640x480                        800x600

Can a VGA/SVGA Monitor
   be used with all SW?      NO                              YES

8-bit stereo audio
   digitizing?               NO                              YES

Price:                      $300                            $900

   In terms of price/performance, there is no question that the Q605 blows
the A1200 away, especially when you compare prices of complete systems.
For instance, because a good monitor for an A1200 costs about $200 more than a
good monitor for a Q605, the price difference narrows that much further from
the prices above when you look at prices for PRACTICAL systems.  By time you
have added 2M of fast RAM, a 25Mhz 68030, a hard drive, and a monitor that
can be used with all software to an A1200, you are already MORE EXPENSIVE than
the superior 68LC040-based Q605!

+++++++
 ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-
   ++      IRC nick: Cyclone  |  e-mail: barr...@iastate.edu
   +       Amiga: No excellence, just bullshit