Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.apps
From: jmayn...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Jay Maynard)
Subject: Describe and WP documents
Sender: use...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu (netnews admin account)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 15:39:10 GMT

I'm one of the folks that got burned by WP. I'm now looking at getting either
Ami Pro or Describe. A friend who has AP says that its conversion of WP
documents is only so-so; it only handles 5.2 documents, and does some funny
things when it does try to convert them. I need neither an equation editor nor
footnotes, so that's not a concern.

How good is Describe at converting WP documents, both in and out?
Unfortunately, the demonstration version doesn't have any of the conversion
routines in it, so I can't evaluate it myself.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu      | adequately be explained by stupidity.

> I'm one of the folks that got burned by WP. I'm now looking at getting either
> Ami Pro or Describe. A friend who has AP says that its conversion of WP
> documents is only so-so; it only handles 5.2 documents, and does some funny
> things when it does try to convert them. I need neither an equation editor nor
> footnotes, so that's not a concern.
>

> How good is Describe at converting WP documents, both in and out?
> Unfortunately, the demonstration version doesn't have any of the conversion
> routines in it, so I can't evaluate it myself.

From WP 5.2 (I have no experience with WP 6) - not bad.  I cannot recall
whether I ended up going back to my original .tif files when I converted
some book chapters with graphics in them -- but the process wasn't too
onerous.
I'm not particularly happy with things going the other way -- Describe
to WP.  Using either save as (then specifying Word Perfect) or Export,
I find that funny things happen in WP when I've switched styles in Describe.
-- I switch styles frequently as an easy way to set up intents, etc.
I end up having to go into "reveal codes" in WP to delete out the style
definitions -- I think there's an easier way.
  Given the fact that Describe is superior in most respects, I'd not
worry about going from Descr. to WP, but (a) the network at my office
runs under Windoze (no OS/2 support), so I need to get documents into
WP to print there [though usually I print my stuff at home so no problem]
and (b) publishers and other authors need to get files from me in WP format.

Douglas Baer, Department of Sociology,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: B...@UWOVAX.UWO.CA