From: dre...@ayrton.eideti.com (Andrew Veliath)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.beta
Subject: Warp's New Toys
Date: 20 Nov 1994 23:25:52 -0500

Hi all... after just been to a friends helping set up his machine and
glean over the new mighty OS (which I _must_ say installed and detected
everything on his machine [just for the record ;-)]) and having run the
beta for sometime (I am running linux until Enterprise comes out...)...

It may have been a bit slower than I expected, but HELL ONCE YOU BECOME
FAMILIAR WITH IT'S INTRICACIES IT IS JUST THE COOLEST THING ON EARTH ;-)
sorry for the yelling but I just had to throw in some words.

Some things I picked up while browsing...

The Works program is quite nice actually, and I didn't try it but it has
import filters for Ami Pro 1, 2, and 3 and Wordperfect 6.0 for Windows
and more...

The multimedia viewer is a good example of SOM!  It is the so great to be
able to use this as a repository for pictures and images and to just drag
and drop them in to the Background notebook page pic (try it if you haven't).

Finally, after using OS/2 for over 2 years I am now seeing exploitation
of SOM in much better ways!  The templates folder is huge--what it should
be!  There are actually MEANINGFUL (or rather more used) associations in
the association lists...!

Do people realize that OS/2 lets you do incredible searches based on file
keywords & comments (on any object)?  The new find tool I must say seems
very fast.  It is the handiest thing I've seen.  If you want to get all
of your say, gifs into the viewer why don't you just do a search on your
disk for the specific criteria and then select all then drag the bunch to
the viewer (this would probably incur a decent wrath of time while it
generates thumbnails ;-))...

SOM SOM SOM SOM SOM SOM yes it is real (and DSOM).

And guess what?  After all this Object Windows for OS/2 will be out REAL
SOON NOW (don't know about platform specific features though) but
nonetheless this will make application development MUCH easier...!  Just
think about it... How is IBM's class library [anyone]?

And by the way those OS/2 Warp commercials aren't half as bad as I've
been led to believe... actually I think they are nicely done...

What can I say... after using un*x for 2 months it is so refreshing to
see a powerful and intuitive and yes may I say it FUN interface that has
been improved... Warp is at a critical point; it may keep going, but
unless we wave it's carrot (not arrogantly, but practically and
interestingly) to developers, casual users, and interested companies--not
to say this isn't being done--but it must continue to be pushed!

People can't be convinced of something they don't realized the fruits of!

Preach OS/2 Warp!

Push OS/2 Warp!

Program OS/2 Warp!

Develop for OS/2 Warp!

Use OS/2 Warp!

Have fun with SOM... create your own little universe within your
desktop--it is more powerful than you think!

Yes this is a commercial, sue me, oops I don't sell anything yet! ;-)

THINK WARP.

Enuf said.

drew