From: just...@sirius.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: WebExplorer & swapper.dat ? WHOA!
Date: 31 Dec 1994 00:22:56 GMT

Is anyone else experiencing their swapper.dat file getting HUGE while using
WebExplorer for a while?

I have a 486/66 with 16 MB RAM and the only things I have running are the
dialer for SLIP and maybe one windows program and my swap file gets to over
25 MB !!

Isn't that weird considering that I have 16 MB RAM in my machine? Sorry if
this seems to be posted in the wrong group but it DOES seem specific to
WebExplorer.

I don't even like WebExplorer (it seems to still be in its infancy of
development) and prefer by far using Netscape but Netscape will not resolve
host names no matter what I do DESPITE the fact that all other Windows
programs are able to resove using DNS.
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGH! FTP almost never works in WebExplorer and doesn't support
mail etc. yuck. why bother?

IBM, are you listening? While we appreciate the fact that you are releasing
Beta products to us for trial use, we would appreciate getting them when they
have at LEAST gone through alpha stages of testing. Beta is not supposed to
be for adding features, it's supposed to be for fixing bugs. There are still
many many features missing from WebExplorer. Frankly I'd rather use Cello -
and trust me, I shudder at that thought.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Justin

>Is anyone else experiencing their swapper.dat file getting HUGE while using
WebExplorer for a while?
>I have a 486/66 with 16 MB RAM and the only things I have running are the dialer
>for SLIP and maybe one windows program and my swap file gets to over 25 MB !!
>Isn't that weird considering that I have 16 MB RAM in my machine? Sorry if this
>seems to be posted in the wrong group but it DOES seem specific to WebExplorer.

This is normal since WebExplorer keeps a number of HTTP pages in memory. You can
configure this number. The more you cache in memory, the less WebExplorer needs
to get the same page twice.

                                  /|||\
                                 (o) (o)
-------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------------
Andy Brunner                                      Internet:   abru...@ibm.net
Kappelistrasse 43                                 CompuServe: 100016,767
CH-8002 Zuerich / Switzerland
---------------------------------oO---Oo-------------------------------------

From: tn...@panix.com (Tom Neff)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: 31 Dec 1994 11:35:52 -0500

In article <3e3c3d$1...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>,
Andy Brunner <abru...@ibm.net> wrote:
>[I forget who asked:]
>>Is anyone else experiencing their swapper.dat file getting HUGE while
>>using WebExplorer for a while?  I have a 486/66 with 16 MB RAM and the
>>only things I have running are the dialer for SLIP and maybe one
>>windows program and my swap file gets to over 25 MB !!  Isn't that
>>weird considering that I have 16 MB RAM in my machine? Sorry if this
>>seems to be posted in the wrong group but it DOES seem specific to
>>WebExplorer.

>This is normal since WebExplorer keeps a number of HTTP pages in
>memory. You can configure this number. The more you cache in memory,
>the less WebExplorer needs to get the same page twice.

The key setting is not the number of cached pages/images, but the "Keep
cached images in memory?" checkbox.  If that is lit, which I think it is
by default, then your SWAPPER.DAT effectively gets used as a bitmap
image cache, which is why it balloons up so big.  The benefit, if you
can stand it, is that cached images redraw instantly.  If you uncheck
the "in memory" box, then the images are just kept as .GIF/.JPG files on
disk in your TMP directory (which they were anyway), and
reloaded/redrawn from there instead of over the net.  It's a little
slower, but WE's dynamic memory requirements shrink dramatically.

By the way, that cache in TMP is worth remembering for two reasons.
First, you can browse it with any picture reader (like PMVIEW) while WE
is running, and print or copy or save things at will.  Second, if your
system crashes or WE bombs out or otherwise fails to exit normally,
those files STAY.  Over time, you may find you've got megs and megs of
old pictures and HTML sitting around in TMP.  That's when it's time to
get out the browser, save what you want, and delete the rest.
--
Tom Neff   [email] tn...@panix.com    [web] http://www.panix.com/tneff/

From: jmayn...@admin5.hsc.uth.tmc.edu (Jay Maynard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: 1 Jan 1995 08:17:59 -0600

In article <3e4198$...@panix3.panix.com>, Tom Neff <tn...@panix.com> wrote:
>Over time, you may find you've got megs and megs of
>old pictures and HTML sitting around in TMP.  That's when it's time to
>get out the browser, save what you want, and delete the rest.

This explains what I thought was a serious memory leak in WE/2 0.95. I'd
gone browsing through the Animaniacs picture archives (if you're interested,
you can get to it from my home page, http://k5zc.hsc.uth.tmc.edu), and could
only see a few images before my available memory would drop to a meg or so,
after starting at about 11 meg. I'd already set the number of images cached
to 2, and turned off the in-memory cacheing option.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmayn...@admin5.hsc.uth.tmc.edu   | adequately be explained by stupidity.