From: geouser@aol.com (GeoUser)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Committee to Fight Microsoft
Date: 11 Mar 1995 15:17:40 -0500
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

I saw this on PRNewswire, thought there would be some interest here....

Eric

-------
 THE COMMITTEE TO FIGHT MICROSOFT CORPORATION
A Registered Federal Political Action Committee
Post Office Box 1132, Palm Beach, Florida 33480-1132
Tel. (407) 833-6917
E-Mail FightMS@aol.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Friday, March 10, 1995

MICROSOFT GROUP WILL ANNOUNCE NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE AND ORGANIZATIONAL
ACTIVITY

(NEW YORK) The Committee to Fight Microsoft Corporation, a federally
registered political action committee, will hold a New York news
conference
on Wednesday, March 15th to announce a national membership drive and
additional organizational activity.

"The response to our initial efforts has been overwhelming," ANTHONY R.
"ANDY" MARTIN, Executive Director of the Group stated.  "Thus, we are
proceeding with phase two, which is an effort to mobilize the on-line
community to join our movement."

LOCATION/TIME:  The news conference will be held on March 15th at 11:00
A.M. in the Regency Hotel in New York City, 540 Park Avenue (61st St.) in
the
Regency Room (access through restaurant).  Space and attendance is
limited.

MARTIN notes the news conference comes after a week of pre-announcement
organizational research and consulting.  "During the past few days we have
made a number of policy decisions, as well as consulting counsel on the
legal
restrictions under which we operate," MARTIN states, "As a 'non connected
committee' which is subject to the regulation of the Federal Election
Commission and federal law, we can only accept corporate memberships or
support through an existing corporate PAC, and we cannot accept foreign
money.  We feel, however, that operating in the 'sunshine' under strict
federal regulation and disclosure will convey confidence to members who
join
and support our activity and to Capitol Hill where we are directing our
initial efforts.  Wednesday we will announce our membership structure and
dues for membership.  We have an e-mail address, and are preparing a
national roll-out of our organization's activities to the on-line
community in the
next few days.

"The Committee is the first national consumer advocacy organization
dedicated
to speaking exclusively on behalf of computer users and consumers in
Washington.  We also expect to gain international recognition due to
Microsoft's Windows 95 activity in Europe, but repeat that we cannot
accept
foreign financial support under federal law," MARTIN concludes.

MARTIN will be in Washington, DC on Tuesday, March 14th to lobby on
Capitol
Hill.  The Committee has previously requested oversight hearings by the
U.S.
Senate and House Judiciary Committees concerning the Justice Department's
stewardship of the Microsoft antitrust proceeding.  MARTIN also hopes to
file
papers in the pending U.S. Court of Appeals proceeding involving an appeal
of
a decision by Judge Stanley Sporkin rejecting a proposed DofJ/Microsoft
settlement.

CONTACT:  Cheryl Wells, Communications Director, or Andy Martin.  New York
phone for Tuesday and Wednesday ONLY is (212) 879-5784.  Committee
headquarters is located at (407) 833-6917.  E-mail to:  FightMS@aol.com.
Mail to:  P.O. Box 1132, Palm Beach, FL 334801132