From: pet...@combo.adsp.sub.org (Dr. Peter Kittel)
Subject: Amiga Resurrection
Date: 1995/05/07
organization: Private Site
newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc

Mr. Schmitt, Boss of Escom, has authorized me to publish the state of
affairs.

Most important item first: I have my job, and it's the of the world-wide
boss of engineering. Yes, I know, I start into a very difficult task,
as successor of real celebrities. OTOH I had eleven years time at
Commodore to study what is the wrong strategy and which leads to success.
I will spend all effort to avoid these known errors.

And now for the big picture: There will be founded a new, completely
selfstanding daughter company of Escom AG. It will have own rooms at
an own address in Heppenheim. It will be the headquarter of the new
company, with control and coordination for the whole world. One subsidiary
will exist in any case in the Netherlands, and it will do Europe-wide
distribution and sales. Further country subsidiaries are not impossible.
Yet there are no concrete decisions about UK, USA, and Canada in particular.

The new company is yet to be founded, but this is currently in the works
with great effort. The name is not yet decided, it will probably be
something like "Commodore-Amiga" or "Amiga-Commodore" or the like.
This company will (at least for the time coming) care exclusively for the
Amiga model palette.

As can be inferred from the first paragraph, there will be an engineering
department, for hardware and OS software. For this there exist already
promising contacts with well-known and well-reputated names. Yet there's
no problem if someone feels obliged to send his resume (no email or fax,
please) to
   Escom AG
   Personalabteilung
   Tiergartenstr. 9
   D-64646 Heppenheim
   Germany
You see, we consider ourselves an international company. Of course we
only want the best ones :-).

Further there will be a Support department which will do world-wide
coordination, but also covers the german area. Thus most of these
people should be german-speaking. The Amiga Developer Support Programm
ADSP will get reactivated ASAP. About those developers currently using
BIX or CIX, we have not yet decided. These people should feel free to
contact me directly at this private account (no company one *yet*
existing) and giving some input. In the past years there was a split
among the developer community into different communication channels. Thus
no direct communication of the developers among each other was possible,
and for engineering this meant double work to explain the same issues
once on one net and then additionally on another net. We will do everything
to avoid this nonsense in future. There are big obstacles, as there are
big cost differences in different regions of the earth, and simultaneously
a high degree of confidentiality has to be maintained. - Enduser support
will happen mostly in electronic form, via mailbox, Internet, and probably
also Btx.

Of course there will be also a Marketing department and what is needed
in admin. All together this will be a rather slim company of ca. 50
people at first, but a further expansion is of course not impossible.

It is planned to restart production of the last current model palette,
probably in full scale, but no guarantee yet for this. Also of course
not all models will appear at the same time again, one after the other.
As Escom has an own poweful casing production, they will perhaps get
a redesign of their styling, in any case for the A4000, but the hardware
under the hood remains unchanged at first. First diverse contributing
factories on earth have to revive their production of parts. New
developments would mean additional months of waiting, before you could
buy the products. That would be too big a sacrifice.

The direction of the new engineering department will definitely be the
port to some RISC platform. The choice of this RISC is still open. There
are ecstatic advocats for at least two alternatives, PPC and HP PA RISC.
Chris Ludwig gave an interesting interview about this. It will be the
first task of engineering to prepare this choice of paths into the
future with all possible expertise.

It has been decided to be very liberal in regards of licensing in the
future. So, whoever wants to build e.g. an Amiga Laptop or a set-top
box, can get chips and OS!

As you all see, much of this is still a letter of intent. The points which
are declared as still open are *really* open, so there's no use in
bombarding me with further questions.

As my work load, at least now in the building phase, will be immense,
I can't guarantee my presence on the net like before. But who knows me,
knows that that would be most painful for me myself. So let's look
forward.

In the next weeks there will be press conferences to tell more and
more details.

Long live the Amiga and for a good cooperation.

--
Best Regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       //
Private Site in Frankfurt, Germany \X/  Email to: pet...@combo.ganesha.com

organization: Delphi Internet Services Corporation
x-newsreader-author: lwil...@BIX.com (Loren Wilton)
reply-to: j...@BIX.com (Joanne Dow)
newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc

In article <peterk.0...@combo.adsp.sub.org>,
   pet...@combo.adsp.sub.org (Dr. Peter Kittel) wrote:

>Mr. Schmitt, Boss of Escom, has authorized me to publish the state of
>affairs.
>
>Most important item first: I have my job, and it's the of the world-wide
>boss of engineering. Yes, I know, I start into a very difficult task,
>as successor of real celebrities. OTOH I had eleven years time at
>Commodore to study what is the wrong strategy and which leads to success.
>I will spend all effort to avoid these known errors.

I certainly wish to congratulate you on the appointment to this position. I must
wonder how much input you'll have to the marketing department from your position
as director of engineering. I hope between you and they an advertising approach
which will work in the US can be developed. I see the possibility for grabbing a
healthy marketshare in the near future as Windows 95 goes crash in the night, in
the daytime, at noon, at midnight, and all in 14megs (minimum) of memory. No
adequate successor for the Microsoft Windows heirarchy appears to exist today.
95 is, by all reports, an unmitigated disaster looking for a place to happen.
NT is WAY more than a person needs on the desktop. (It IS, however, a worthy
successor to VMS with the 3.1 program manager tacked on top of it for ugliness
sake.) And Warp is just plain big, clumsey, slow. It is very much like a
lugubrious AmigaDOS that is very slow getting up in the morning and it is always
"the morning" to it. The Macintosh will benefit from this, I am sure. And the
Amiga stands a good chance to benefit as well with the right campaign.

I am very pleased we have a fellow "Amigan" in top corporate management at ESCOM
to plead our case.

#define HYPE_MODE ON
PS: I'll probably do anything I can that is legal to get you to maintain your
support on BIX. (I note tonite one fellow pleading for a more serious
comp.sys.amiga.programmers newsgroup. The poor fellow doesn't realize that such
exists on BIX. It costs more dollars to find an answer on BIX than the internet.
But it also costs a LOT less time wasted wading through drivel and inaccurate
#define HYPE_MODE OFF

{^_^}     Joanne Dow, Amiga Exchange Editor on BIX
          j...@bix.com   The Wizardess

content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
x-newssoftware: GRn 2.1 Feb 19, 1994
organization: DarkSoft Computers
mime-version: 1.0

In article <3osl6u$...@news2.delphi.com> j...@BIX.com (Joanne Dow) writes:

> #define HYPE_MODE ON
> PS: I'll probably do anything I can that is legal to get you to maintain your
> support on BIX. (I note tonite one fellow pleading for a more serious
> comp.sys.amiga.programmers newsgroup. The poor fellow doesn't realize that such
> exists on BIX. It costs more dollars to find an answer on BIX than the internet.
> But it also costs a LOT less time wasted wading through drivel and inaccurate
> #define HYPE_MODE OFF

RANT MODE ON -

One thing that seems to have slipped the minds of those who choose a
commercial service such as Bix for support in place of a
newsgroup/mailing list: For those not right next to the place it's
long distance, it's damn expensive, it's per hour, etc! Frankly, it's
just too damn much money! Long distance fees, sign-up, hourly fees,
etc. Who the hell wants to pay that IN ADDITION to what the fees are
for "being granted the honor of writing software for our chosen
platform" by those who own the mother company? Not I! I have a LOCAL
internet site, no LD fees, no waiting, ALL 28.8K V34 lines, none of
this crappy 9600/14.4k lines. Are Bix even up to 14.4k yet? Why would
I want to downgrade my online abilities, and pay more t do it? This
mentality of using commercial provideers HAS TO STOP! It's insane,
it's stupid and it's very damn costly. You could not provide enough
support on slow, expensive lines to make it worth my, and many other
developers while, to switch from the inexpensive access we have now.

RANT MODE OFF -

Seriously - If it's all setup with another commercial provider, be it
Bix or other, and they continue to charge outlandish fees for squat in
return, what's the point in being an "official" developer anyway? I'm
going to write programs for the Amiga, with or without the blessing of
those who own the technology. Why not make it easier instead of more
complicated?

Joel

*     Joel A. Corn - Owner/Head Programmer - DarkSoft Computers      *
*          email:darks...@ncw.net - phone/fax:509-886-0581           *

In article <3ouuoo$...@natasha.rmii.com> mday...@rmii.com (Maxwell Daymon) writes:
> Joel Corn (darks...@bing.ncw.net) wrote:
> : just too damn much money! Long distance fees, sign-up, hourly fees,
> : etc. Who the hell wants to pay that IN ADDITION to what the fees are
>
> Can't you just telnet in?

Yep, I could. But where's the downloading abilities with telnet?

> : I want to downgrade my online abilities, and pay more t do it? This
> : mentality of using commercial provideers HAS TO STOP! It's insane,
> : it's stupid and it's very damn costly. You could not provide enough
>
> It's more secure, there's more control over what happens, and the
> companies involved can make whatever changes they see fit without
> disrupting people.
>
> Is a developer support group that goes off on God-bashing/God-worshipping
> tangents appropriate? On a commercial service, this could be easily
> controlled.

As it could on a private site. Disallow anonymous access, if that's
the case. Give each developer a password, or have them register at the
site. The main point is, why pay twice? Even if I were to telnet to
Bix or whatever, I'd STILL have to pay for that access, which was my
bone of contention for the most part.

Joel

*     Joel A. Corn - Owner/Head Programmer - DarkSoft Computers      *
*          email:darks...@ncw.net - phone/fax:509-886-0581           *

organization: interQuest: Fuel for the Mind

writes:
: > Joel Corn (darks...@bing.ncw.net) wrote:
: > : just too damn much money! Long distance fees, sign-up, hourly fees,
: > : etc. Who the hell wants to pay that IN ADDITION to what the fees are
: >
: > Can't you just telnet in?

: Yep, I could. But where's the downloading abilities with telnet?
:
  Right at your fingertips :)  I telnet into BIX daily and have *NO* problems
doing *anything* via telnet that I can do via any other connection method.

: > : I want to downgrade my online abilities, and pay more t do it? This
: > : mentality of using commercial provideers HAS TO STOP! It's insane,
: > : it's stupid and it's very damn costly. You could not provide enough
: >
: > It's more secure, there's more control over what happens, and the
: > companies involved can make whatever changes they see fit without
: > disrupting people.
: >

: As it could on a private site. Disallow anonymous access, if that's
: the case. Give each developer a password, or have them register at the
: site. The main point is, why pay twice? Even if I were to telnet to
: Bix or whatever, I'd STILL have to pay for that access, which was my
: bone of contention for the most part.

  A private site wouldn't be a bad thing.  The issue of paying twice is
another subject.  BIX offers a lot more than *just* the closed developer
areas.  Also, IMO <$20/month is a *small* price to pay for what you get.
But then, you always were good at whining Joel.  Think you might ever
make a suggestion or comment without the whine? (that or start giving
out cheese with it)

Take care,
Dan

:   A private site wouldn't be a bad thing.  The issue of paying twice is
: another subject.  BIX offers a lot more than *just* the closed developer
: areas.  Also, IMO <$20/month is a *small* price to pay for what you get.
: But then, you always were good at whining Joel.  Think you might ever
: make a suggestion or comment without the whine? (that or start giving
: out cheese with it)

Enough already!! What does this have to do with the Amiga Resurrection, or
even Amiga at all. At least make another subject.

| -----        |    -------    | Living on Earth is expensive, but you get    |
|  /  __       | Intel Outside | an anual free trip around the Sun.           |
| /  /_/ /|/|  |    -------    |                                              |
|   tesm...@phoenix.net     http://www.phoenix.net/~tesmith/default.html      |

>:   A private site wouldn't be a bad thing.  The issue of paying twice is
>: another subject.  BIX offers a lot more than *just* the closed developer
>: areas.  Also, IMO <$20/month is a *small* price to pay for what you get.
>: But then, you always were good at whining Joel.  Think you might ever
>: make a suggestion or comment without the whine? (that or start giving
>: out cheese with it)
>
>Enough already!! What does this have to do with the Amiga Resurrection, or
>even Amiga at all.

Yes it does, because I initiated this thread and *asked* for contributions
of pros and cons for BIX as a developer communications basis. I can tell
you that I received some strong objections against it...

--
Best Regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       //
Private Site in Frankfurt, Germany \X/  Email to: pet...@combo.ganesha.com
Now re-employed at The New Commodore-Amiga in Heppenheim, Germany
Stay cool, not cold (Cool bleiben, nicht kalt); H. J. Friedrichs