From: David Manvell <putythe...@delphi.com>
Subject: 2nd Washington Post Fast Forward article.
Date: 1995/05/31
organization: Delphi (i...@delphi.com email, 800-695-4005 voice)
newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc

[This is another "letter from the editor" article that appeared in the
Washington Post's Fast Forward magazine (A magazine that comes once a month
in the Washington Post newspaper). It addresses their last months slandering
(?) of the Amiga. Any errors or typos are probably just my own.]

---------------------------------snip---------------------------------------

Nuestras Amiga Locas

Users of the Amiga personal computer are among the most proud, loyal,
knowledgeable, utterly humorless folks you'd ever want to meet - and we've
got the e-mail to prove it. In our May issue, circumspect readers may recall,
we attempted to deflect the simultaneous charges of Mac and PC bias we face
by explaining that we used, and sort of liked, both Macs and PCs. "But
flexibility has its limits," we warned. "Don't start sending us e-mail about
the Commodore Amiga."

Well: Hell hath no fury like that of a user of a commercially precarious,
long-ignored, technically superior computing system scorned. Within a day of
publication seething Amigans from Brazil, Italy, Germany and all around the
U.S. had accused us of bias, ignorance, close-mindedness, conspiracy and...
well, it was hard to tell what else, because some of the messages were in
second-language English. (Anybody know a good Amiga translation program?)

Amidst the screed we managed to isolate the following interesting facts: that
Commodore's Amiga was the pioneering multimedia computer; that, thanks to
brand mismanagement, Amiga never earned the prominence or respect its
technical capabilities deserve; that it can still do stuff, including multi-
tasking and on-screen video production, that Macs and PCs can't, or can't do
well; that its bankrupt corporate carcass was recently purchased by Escom AG,
a German company which may revitalize the platform; and that, among 3 million
alleged Amiga users, only 28 were insulted or bored enough to send us e-mail.

But - amigas, amigos, por favor: It was just a joke. We disparaged the Amiga
only to make fun of our self-proclaimed open-mindedness, and ultimately of
the strangely passionate loyalties that operating systems tend to provoke.
Which, of course, the mailstorm only verified. We could easily have chosen,
say, IBM's OS/2 as the joke-butt. But then, if we had, geez... think of the
potential consequences: Both loyal OS/2 users might have sent us angry
letters. (Wait! Drop your weapons!! that was just another joke!! We really
like OS/2, honest, we really do...)

Well it does explain things to at least my satisfaction (this is a BIG step
for Mac and PC users you know - acknowledging existence I mean) At least we
got the name Amiga in the opening letter of a major magazine. It just goes to
show that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" or "it pays to bitch!" I'm glad
I was one of the 28. Now if I could only figure out what "Nuestras Amiga
Locas" translates to in American.

Dave
Putythe...@Delphi.com