From: dw...@pinn.net (Comrade_Gorby)
Subject: The Amiga died in 1991...
Date: 1995/08/19
organization: Soviet_Government_in_Exile
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy

I was an Amiga user from 1986 to late 1994.  It was
the first multimedia computer.  The first multitasking
O/S to gain public acceptance.  And it was the best computer
money could buy, at a fraction of the price of PC's.

So friggin' what?

The Amiga started out well enough.  The A1000 (all 250,000
of them!) sold well.  The A500 became the next C64 and sold
in the millions.  The A2000 was probably the best Amiga ever
made in terms of expandibility and ruggedness.  But CBM killed
the Amiga by overpricing it.

OVERPRICING you say?  How can this be true?

Well, when I purchased my A2000 in 1990, I paid $1400.  It was
considered a great price for an A2000.  But wait!  The A500 was
selling for less than $600 at that time.  What did I get in my
A2000 for the extra $800?  Lets see...a bunch of card slots.
A bigger power supply.  512K more ram.  A detached keyboard.
A heavy metal case.  Hmmm.  Can you say PRICE GOUGING?
Do you think CBM could have priced it for under $1000?  How many
more would have been sold?

Commodore had another problem right from the start:  The audience
for the Amiga was (IMHO) mostly old C64 and 128 owners, kids, and
people who knew an Amiga owner.  Outside of that, there were few
"outside" purchasers of the machine.  Without advertising, how can
there be?  How many places could you even BUY an Amiga?  Its not like
it had this big visibility thing.  No advertising+few dealers=few sales.

Now the Amiga faithfull are sporting woodies because the Amiga is
again available.  Well, ESCOM is not about to make a push into north
america.  Sure, there will be north american sales.  But only to those
die hard Amiga fans who MUST have a new computer to run some software
or hardware they NEED to have, or to those who have some misguided
loyalty to a dead idol.

I had two A1000's, an A2000, and an A1200.  I loved them.  I miss
them.  I was in withdrawl for the first year I did not have an Amiga.

I still miss running Arctic Fox, One on One, and other early great
Amiga programs.  But its gone, and most of us have moved on.

To those of you who want a new Amiga, please ask yourself this:  WHY?
Its NOT going to set the world on fire.  Its just too damn late.
The software is no longer beeing written for it.  The hardware is
slowed down to a trickle.  Sure, Win95 is an overgrown pig of an
OS.  Sure, Microsloth Word is a massive slow hard drive eater.
Yes, the O/S needs gobs of RAM to run properly.  But my Amiga
did not run DOOM.  It did not run multimedia encyclopedias.  And,
in Virginia Beach, the largest city in Virginia, there was no longer
a single Amiga dealer.  Where do I buy things?  Mail order?  It gets
old.

If you Amiga does what you want/need, then by all means USE IT.  ENJOY
IT.  But before you plunk down $$$ in a misguided "vote" to bring the
Amiga back to life by a company that is not going to push it here,
think real hard about what you can get in the PC world for the same
amount.  I despise my PC's OS compared to AmigaDOS.  I hate the way
I have to worry about IRQ's, INI's, DLL's etc.  But I love the way
it looks on the world wide web, or when its running DOOM, or when
its running Encarta.

Intelligent replies/flames are invited/encouraged.

   Gravity.  Its not just a good idea.  ITS THE LAW.
   A message from the Minister of Science, Soviet Government
   in Exile BBS, 804-471-5728.  Comrade Gorby - Sysop