From: nat%drao.nrc....@BUITA.BU.EDU (Natalie Prowse)
Newsgroups: comp.society.futures
Subject: long-distance monitoring
Date: 14 Apr 88 02:30:00 GMT
Sender: dae...@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

It has recently come to my attention (from a very reliable source), that
long-distance phone calls from Canada to the U.S. are monitored.  According
to my source, a U.S. agency runs several Crays which do speech recognition
and analysis, monitoring calls between Canada and the U.S. (and other
countries too, I would suppose).  This  system searches for specific
keywords and records conversations which contain information which would
be of interest to this (and other?) government agencies.  Having not been on
the net that long, I am curious as to whether or not this has been discussed
before.  Is it true, partially true, or a complete falsehood (an "urban myth")??
It certainly is possible, which disturbs me greatly.

If it is true, will my message be intercepted on the net, and never reach
this list??.....

					Natalie Prowse
				Dominion Radio Astrophisical Observatory
				Penticton, B.C., Canada