From: hag...@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Hager)
Newsgroups: alt.drugs
Subject: Drug test falacy #1
Date: 12 Jul 90 17:21:47 GMT

Consider one of the favorite justifications for drug testing:
making sure that an intoxicated person doesn't engage in
activity that endangers someone else -- i.e., drivers, pilots,
air traffic controllers, nuclear plant operators, etc.
Drug testing offers NO PROTECTION AT ALL.  The reason is
simple: there is a significant time lag between the
administration of a test and the receipt of the results.
What is the typical turnaround time?  Given that urine
samples must be sent to a lab for analysis and to ensure
against false positives a second level test may be required,
clearly we are talking about days in most cases, more in others.
Certainly, someone who is intoxicated, takes a drug test, and
then moves to a radar screen to land planes has NOT been
stopped from endangering others.

This is yet another -- and I would say compelling -- argument
in favor of impairment testing rather than drug testing.
--
paul hager		hag...@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

"I would give the Devil benefit of the law for my own safety's sake."
                       --from _A_Man_for_All_Seasons_ by Robert Bolt

I'm against testing, too, but this is a red herring.  Paul Hager writes:
>Consider one of the favorite justifications for drug testing:
>making sure that an intoxicated person doesn't engage in
>activity that endangers someone else -- i.e., drivers, pilots,
>air traffic controllers, nuclear plant operators, etc.
>Drug testing offers NO PROTECTION AT ALL.  The reason is
>simple: there is a significant time lag between the
>administration of a test and the receipt of the results.
>[Because piss results will come in long after Joe has
>already ploughed a forklift into a line of children.]

  So much for simple reasoning.  Even the drug warriors never claimed
that piss tests would detect intoxication _only while working_ or provide
immediate feedback.  The intent is obviously to detect the _user_ of
drugs and not so much whether he did drugs at a particular time (and
only at work.)  (And, it is not just on-the-job intoxication that is
suspected of impairing performance.)  Such reckless screening will in
fact scoop up a few on-the-job stoners along with many other on-the-couch
users and false positives.  This is very crude protection, and I don't
happen to think it is efficient to fire hundreds of maybes for every
stoned forklift driver, but it is more than "NO PROTECTION AT ALL."

  As for actual on-premise use -- well, that's what the dogs are for. :-)

  What the drug warriors _do_ profess between the lines -- that any use
no matter how far removed from jobtime indicates in the user a weakness
or moral or mental character that deserves that person to be terminated
or purified through rehabilitation -- is far more odious, so I don't see
why you had to pick on an issue that they don't raise in order to argue
against drug testing.
--
Wayne Tvedt    cth...@ucscb.ucsc.edu    ..!ucbvax!ucscc!{ucscb,ucscf}!cthulhu