From: pr...@deakin.edu.au (JULIAN PAUL ASSANGE)
Newsgroups: aus.net.aarnet,deakin.general,alt.privacy,alt.censorship,
alt.journalism,aus.general,aus.politics,aus.net.mail
Subject: SERIOUS academic/political free speech supression at Deakin Uni
Date: 6 Jan 1995 07:18:01 GMT

As you may recall a few days ago I called for input on a paper I am doing in
relation to security and other problems with the current Australian Academic &
Research Network (AARNet) volume charging scheme.  I posted this request to
the (at least in my mind) concerned news group aus.net.aarnet, in order to
illicit information from users of AARNet who had or expected to experience
problems with the scheme.

From the work I have done so far, I have concluded that there are very
significant technical problems in the current (it came into general effect Jan
1 1995) which can not be overcome without impossible re-designing of the
various protocols of which the internet is comprised.  The languaged used in
my request _clearly showed_ that this was not to be an opened ended paper on
AARNet volume charging and would hopefully play a part in the modification or
dissolution of it.

I have just now (Friday the 6th of January 1995) received (via mail) a series
of threats and inducements from the Deakin University computer administration
to desist in criticism of the current AARNet volume charging scheme.  Details
are below and quotes are un-modified.

        (1) "Your posting is not going to help Deakin's
             relationship with AARNet."

             An alarming suggestion that AARNet will not serve
             Deakin equally if it does not suppress the free
             speech of its users about AARNet. However, not
             totally surprising given that AARNet forced VAR's
             (non research/educational institutions who are
             connected to AARNet) to sign non-disclosure
             agreements in relation to AARNet volume charging
             costs.

        (2) "For this I am not happy, and will be considering
             whether or not we should take action against you."
             (directly follow quote (1))

             The action is not specified, but I can only assume
             it is termination of my account at Deakin uni in
             order to suppress my free speech (which might be
             critical of AARNet) and my ability to receive replies
             to my initial request for information leading to the
             production of a paper critical of AARNet policy.

        (3) "..and you may consider whether or not you might
             face a liable suit."

            This in relation to my allegation of corruption
            (no names or organizations were mentioned) affecting
            the scheme.

I find this threat to my academic and political freedom extremely grave, and
symptomatic of the "closed shop" way in which AARNet and the AVCC have handled
this matter to date.  If my account disappears from Deakin, you will know
exactly why.  Welcome to the brave new world of electronic stalinism.

Its time an independent Internet ombudsman with legislated powers was
appointed to investigate abuses like this, and to resolve conflicts between
VAR's, AARNet and affiliates.

-Julian Assange (pr...@deakin.edu.au,pr...@suburbia.apana.org.au)

**

If you are angered by this very concerning attempt to suppress freedom of
thought and expression then I urge you in the strongest terms to take action
against it before it takes action against you.

-> But what can I do? <-

(0)	Don't assume that everyone else is doing something about this outrage,
    	everyone else is probably assuming the same thing. I need YOUR help.
	Try to perform one action from each the lists below -- its only a
	small amount of effort and together we can make a real difference
	to our freedom of academic and political expression in this country.

(1)	Forward this letter to

   	(a) all your friends and associates on the net and ask them to do
            the same.
	(b) members of the media such as:

		jro...@werple.mira.net.au
		gska...@melbpc.org.au
		a...@acp-sydney.ccmail.compuserve.com
		cla...@suburbia.apana.org.au

	(c) the system administrators at Deakin Uni:

		c...@deakin.edu.au
		s...@deakin.edu.au
		dru...@deakin.edu.au
		mi...@deakin.edu.au

	(d) to your local administrators and or department heads.
	(e) any mailing lists your are a subscriber to.

(2)	Fax the first part of this letter and or your comments to

	(a) Michael Lee, Federal Minister for communications: 06-273-4154
	(c) Michael Lavarch, Federal Attorney General: 06-273-4102
	(e) Council for civil liberties (vic): 03-629-4676
	(f) The Age (editorial): 03-670-7514
	(g) The Australian (editorial): 03-652-2803

(3)	Telephone these people/organizations and tell them what is happening

	(a) Michael Lee, Federal Minister for communications: 06-277-7480
	(c) Michael Lavarch, Federal Attorney General: 06-277-7300
	(e) Council for civil liberties (vic): 03-629-5222
	(f) Access Age: 03-670-1601
	(g) The Age: 03-600-4211
	(h) The Australian: 03-652-2888

(4)	Mail these people/organizations and tell them what is happening

	(a) Michael Lee, Federal Minister for communications:

	      Suite MF-26 Parliament house, Canberra 2600

	(c) Michael Lavarch, Federal Attorney General:

              Suite MF-21 Parliament house, Canberra 2600

	(e) Council for civil liberties:

		601 Bourke St Melbourne 3000

	(f) The Age:

		250 Spencer St Melbourne 3000

	(g) The Australian:

		26 Flinders St Melbourne 3000

Lets try and stamp this sort of suppression and abuse out before it's
too late.

Thanks your for your help, its truly appreciated.

Regards,
	Julian Assange.