From: Salim Fadhley <s...@urn.nott.ac.uk>
Subject: Is C portable?
Date: 1997/01/27
organization: Cripps Computing Centre, The University of Nottingham
x-sender: s...@urn.su.nottingham.ac.uk
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.lang.c

Ok in a vain attempt to settle this argument:

C isnt perfectly portable, and more than one type of C exists, but
within one flavour of C we can have a reasonably good level of portability.

I program in GNU C, and I know I can compile the same linux kernel up on
a SUN and a Intel box. Both computers run GNU C.

However a program that has been written in Boreland C for DOS might not
compile up on UNIX because it includes functions that only exist in
Boreland C.

However if we stick purely to ANSI C then unless we are writing stuff
that messes directly with the hardware then it should compile up on
almost any correct C compiler, so a subset of any C flavoured language
should be portable.

My conclusion is that C is not perfectly portable but, it's portability
is a comprimise between having machine spesific components and
consistancy between platforms.  I suggest that C represents a Reasonable
comprimise!

I conclude that portability is not just a property of the language but
also the style in which you express your programs, therfore you might
write reasonably portable assembler or you might also write C that is
appalingly impossible to port.

Hopefully even Scott could agree with that.

---
Salim Fadhley - CS Undergraduate
The time now is all the time.