RE: [uug] SCO Protest

Matt Pittard
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:42:29 -0700

I think I missed out on why there is a issue with SCO. What is SCO and
what is the fuss about?

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Evan McNabb
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uug] SCO Protest

There has been some interest in having a protest (more of a picket) in
front of SCO's office. Most of us are pretty frustrated with what has
happened over the last few months; this might be the best way to get
our opinions out. Plus we would probably make Slashdot and the local
news. :-) If we do it we'll probably want to get the PLUG (and other
user groups) involved.

I called up the Lindon police and talked to them about the do's and
don't
and they are perfectly fine with us doing it. (The officer I talked to
almost sounded a little shocked; a protest in Lindon? :-)

I was thinking if we do decide to do it, next Friday in the late
afternoon might be good; there aren't any classes and people could
probably leave work an hour or two early.

What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's
fine with me. If not, that's fine too. :-)

-Evan

--
/********************************************************************\
       Evan McNabb: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Byron Clark
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:37:37 -0700

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I'll be there.

--------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Byron Clark                     |       http://www.byronandannie.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:15:18PM -0600, Evan McNabb wrote:
> There has been some interest in having a protest (more of a picket) in
> front of SCO's office. Most of us are pretty frustrated with what has
> happened over the last few months; this might be the best way to get
> our opinions out. Plus we would probably make Slashdot and the local news. :-)
> If we do it we'll probably want to get the PLUG (and other user groups)
> involved.
>
> I called up the Lindon police and talked to them about the do's and don't
> and they are perfectly fine with us doing it. (The officer I talked to
> almost sounded a little shocked; a protest in Lindon? :-)
>
> I was thinking if we do decide to do it, next Friday in the late afternoon
> might be good; there aren't any classes and people could probably leave work
> an hour or two early.
>
> What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's fine with
> me. If not, that's fine too. :-)
>
> -Evan
>
> --
> /********************************************************************\
>        Evan McNabb: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                    http://evan.mcnabbs.org
>              System Administrator, CS Department, BYU
>  GnuPG Fingerprint: 53B5 EDCA 5543 A27A E0E1 2B2F 6776 8F9C 6A35 6EA5
> \********************************************************************/

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Jacob Albretsen
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:39:30 -0700

On Monday 16 June 2003 05:15 pm, Evan McNabb wrote:

> What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's fine
> with me. If not, that's fine too. :-)

Let me check my schedule..... I'm in.   Anyone in the Davis county area is
free to um... have their house accidently park in front of my CRV and ride
down.

--
Jacob Albretsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Andrew McNabb
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:51:47 -0700

I'm in, too.

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Evan McNabb
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:55:47 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:47:43PM -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> You mean this coming Friday (the 20th), right?  There are classes the
> Friday after that.

Hum, guess that's true. Pretty much we just need to see how many people
are interested first. I'm hoping for atleast 50. We'll work the date out
eventally if the response is good.

-Evan

--
/********************************************************************\
       Evan McNabb: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                     http://evan.mcnabbs.org
             System Administrator, CS Department, BYU
 GnuPG Fingerprint: 53B5 EDCA 5543 A27A E0E1 2B2F 6776 8F9C 6A35 6EA5
\********************************************************************/

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Soren Harward
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:56:42 -0700

On Mon 16 Jun 2003 at 17:15:18, Evan McNabb said:

> What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's fine with
> me. If not, that's fine too. :-)

Count me in.  I think Stuart's got a good point that we need to keep
this distanced from the "Official UUG Activity" realm.  But I will
definately be there with posterboard, sharpies, and a camera for press
coverage.  If you live on or near the south end of campus and want a
ride, I've got 3 seats in my car.

Even if you're not going to be there, at least help us come up with come
pithy phrases to write on the placards :)

--
Soren Harward
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Jon D.
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:58:48 -0700

--- Evan McNabb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hum, guess that's true. Pretty much we just need to
> see how many people
> are interested first. I'm hoping for atleast 50.
> We'll work the date out
> eventally if the response is good.

Steve and I are in, too.

-Jon D.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Michael Wilson
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:06:09 -0700

On Monday 16 June 2003 05:15 pm, Evan McNabb wrote:
> There has been some interest in having a protest (more of a picket) in
> front of SCO's office. Most of us are pretty frustrated with what has
> happened over the last few months; this might be the best way to get
> our opinions out. Plus we would probably make Slashdot and the local news.
> :-) If we do it we'll probably want to get the PLUG (and other user groups)
> involved.
>
> I called up the Lindon police and talked to them about the do's and don't
> and they are perfectly fine with us doing it. (The officer I talked to
> almost sounded a little shocked; a protest in Lindon? :-)
>
> I was thinking if we do decide to do it, next Friday in the late afternoon
> might be good; there aren't any classes and people could probably leave
> work an hour or two early.
>
> What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's fine
> with me. If not, that's fine too. :-)
>
> -Evan

I'll be there too, just need a date and time :-).

-Mike Wilson

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Michael Ryan Byrd
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:21:16 -0700

Friday the 27th? I'm in. I'll bring a friend or two. Down with SCO! They've
got to go!

> On Mon 16 Jun 2003 at 17:15:18, Evan McNabb said:
> >
> > What are people's opinions about this? If we decide to do it, that's
fine with
> > me. If not, that's fine too. :-)
>
> Count me in.  I think Stuart's got a good point that we need to keep
> this distanced from the "Official UUG Activity" realm.  But I will
> definately be there with posterboard, sharpies, and a camera for press
> coverage.  If you live on or near the south end of campus and want a
> ride, I've got 3 seats in my car.
>
> Even if you're not going to be there, at least help us come up with come
> pithy phrases to write on the placards :)
>
> --
> Soren Harward
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Michael Ryan Byrd
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:51:46 -0700

How about *this* Friday, the 20th? The sooner the better! I'll bring
posterboard, markers, etc. Can we get a permit to burn something? Maybe that
copy of SCO linux someone won a while back? We should call all the local
news agencies!

> Friday the 27th? I'm in. I'll bring a friend or two. Down with SCO!
They've
> got to go!

RE: [uug] SCO Protest

William Page
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:00:51 -0700

Giving SCO a bad rap in their own home town might have a lot of impact.
This could be good.

William

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Jacob Albretsen
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:30:37 -0700

On Monday 16 June 2003 05:53 pm, Evan McNabb wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:47:43PM -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> > You mean this coming Friday (the 20th), right?  There are classes the
> > Friday after that.
>
> Hum, guess that's true. Pretty much we just need to see how many people
> are interested first. I'm hoping for atleast 50. We'll work the date out
> eventally if the response is good.

I would prefer the 20th as well.  Turns out my transportation will be in
Colorado the weekend of the 27th.

--
Jacob Albretsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: [uug] SCO Protest

Michael Brailsford
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:50:49 -0700

> Even if you're not going to be there, at least help us come up with come
> pithy phrases to write on the placards :)

Count me in.  To borrow from a classic picket slogan, *HELL NO TO SCO!!!*

--
Michael

Re: [uug] SCO Protest (Media Coverage)

Nathan Rackliffe
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:50:44 -0700

Evan McNabb wrote:

Wow, this whole thing sounds pretty sad.. It sounds like what you value more than BYUSA membership is fame..

<quote>
"Plus we would probably make Slashdot and the local news. :-)"
</quote>

Yeah Bob, I'm doing everything for fame and glory. What I am saying is that this is our chance to get the local media aware of how we feel (well, all of
us except you) and tell the slashdotters that not all of us out here are fans
of SCO (well, most of us that is). :-)

-Evan

The trick to getting media coverage is a press release. The local papers/TV stations will usually send someone out if they receive a press release for an event. (While in HS I pulled an April Fools joke and got my picture in the paper because of the press release announcing the prank) We just need to draft up our intentions and include some good quotes from our leaders and then fax it to all the local media - they'll come running (after all, this is Lindon we are talking about)

Nathan

Re: [uug] SCO Protest (Media Coverage)

Matthew J. Probst
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:33:11 -0700

The press release should probibly be by PLUG.  I agree with everyones
concern over BYUSA... this can't be a UUG thing because the mere notion of
bad press (which is correlated in many cases with protests) would cause
BYU to over-react.

Once its been drafted, the press release should be sent to all the local
news outlets via email or fax: harktheherald.com, SLTrib.com, Desnews.com,
abc4.tv, kuer.org, ksl.com, utahpublicradio.org, fox13.com, 570knews.com,
kutv.com, slweekly.com, utahradionews.com

-matt