[Politech] Report on open source and Darl McBride's visit to Harvard [ip]
From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 21:19:29 PST

---

From: Mary Bridges <mbridges@private>
To: "'declan@private'" <declan@private>
Subject: Darl McBride's visit to Harvard
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:36:50 -0500

Hi Declan,
I wrote a story for the Berkman Center for Internet and Society about the
appearance of Darl McBride at Harvard Law School last week that Prof.
Jonathan Zittrain suggested I send you:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/briefings/sco.

The piece - Questioning the Kernel - describes the dynamic between McBride
and the audience, comprised mostly of open source diehards.  There were
some great moments at the event: McBride entered the lecture hall with two
security guards, while the "opposition" (two polite MIT students)
distributed free software to the audience.  The question and answer session
also became heated, as the computer scientists grew increasingly frustrated
with McBride's evasive responses.  I hope you enjoy the write-up, and I'm
always grateful for feedback!
Thanks,
Mary Bridges
Berkman Center for Internet and Society