From: W8...@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Subject: Copyright status of ARC, LZW, and COMPRESS programs questioned
Date: Sat, 9-May-87 13:46:00 EDT
Sender: dae...@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

After announcing the availability of a recent update of SEA's ARC
program, I received the following message which raises serious doubts
as to the validity of the copyrights of SEA, Phil Katz, and Vernon
Berg's ARC programs and well as other LZW-type compression programs
and the status of the popular Unix "compress" program.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8...@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ