From: benn...@math.ksu.edu (Andy Bennett)
Newsgroups: comp.patents
Subject: Ideas in the air and AT&T
Date: 3 Oct 91 04:18:49 GMT
Sender: n...@cluster.cs.su.oz.au

I am neither a lawyer nor an expert at bitmapping or much of anything else.
But I think people need to be more careful than they are being in talking
about the obviousness of AT&T's backing store patent. Just because an idea
is in the air doesn't mean it can't be patented by the person who gets to
the patent office first. Two people applied for the patent on the first
telephone on the SAME DAY; Alexander Graham Bell and the second person whose
name I've forgotten (along with a great many other people). That was an idea
that was clearly in the air and even developed to a practical design by more
than one inventor, but Bell got the patent and it stood under challenge. And
today everyone has heard of Bell and the other person is forgotten.

Of course, AT&T is very familiar with this case.

Andy Bennett

--
Andrew G. Bennett         benn...@hilbert.math.ksu.edu     Happiness is being
Dept. of Mathematics      Voice: (913) 532-6750            at the top of the