Newsgroups: comp.patents
From: rc...@netcom.netcom.com (Robert Cain)
Subject: Personal Use
Sender: mf...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Dr. Laurence Leff)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1992 05:08:30 GMT

Is it forbidden by patent law to build a patented device in one's back
yard for ones own use?  If the answer (by chapter and verse) is yes,
has there ever been prosecution of such an endeavor?
--
Bob Cain    rc...@netcom.com   408-358-2007

"Systems should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."
                                                    A. Einstein

[ Note from Temporary Moderator
> There was a law magazine article on that question.  Some ancient
> precedents at the court of appeals level do say that one can build
> a patented device strictly to satisfy curiosity, etc.  However, it
> is not clear whether they would hold up, or whether they would be
> considered pursuasive in other jurisdictions.
>
> Note that this concerns personal use.  There was a case where a generic
> drug manufacturer started doing the bioavailability tests on some
> drug before the patent ran out.  That was ruled to be an infringing
> "use" even though the drug was not used to cure any disease.

> In case you don't know, the U.S. is divided into court of appeals
> districts.  Federal District Court cases get appealed to the court
> of appeals for the district.  A court of appeals precedent is only
> valid within that district.  They are considered "persuasive" in other
> districts.  It happens fairly frequently that the same issue gets
> decided different ways in different court of appeals districts.
>
> In that event, the Supreme court will often take the next case involving
> that issue so that their can be a uniform rule.

I will try to look up the law review article and the relevant cases.
This matter is of some personal interest.

End of Note from Temporary Moderator]