From: zale...@bme.unc.edu (Rudy Zalesak)
Newsgroups: comp.patents
Subject: Patents and their form of expression
Date: 20 Feb 92 18:08:05 GMT
Sender: n...@cluster.cs.su.oz.au

Programs expressed in functional languages can look like
(in fact, ought to look like) ordinary expressions in
mathematics. If it is possible to express an algorithm in
ordinary mathematical notation, then that notation can be
used as a program itself- expressions in the language Mathematica
come very close to this; some work with TeX could erase
the distinction entirely. Stan Wagon's book on Mathematica
includes working Mathematica code for the RSA algorithm which
is remarkably close to simply being plain mathematics
("FirstPrimeAbove[10^100]").

I think this shows it doesn't make sense
to distinguish between the explanation
of an algorithm in a textbook and the implementation of the
algorithm in a computer language. Some pro-patents writers here
seem to think that only the advent of natural-language understanding
programs (able to read patents and compile them automatically!)
would erase the distinction between speech about an
algorithm and the implementation itself. But this example
shows that we are much closer to that situation than they think.

Now, consider the case of a translation of Sedgewick's *Algorithms* into
Loglan...  :)

				Rudy Zalesak