From: d...@kronecker.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley)
Newsgroups: comp.patents
Subject: [ARTICLE] Interesting article
Date: 5 Jun 92 03:03:13 GMT
Sender: n...@cluster.cs.su.oz.au

There is an interesting article on software patents in the most recent
CACM:

	Debunking the Software Patent Myths
	Paul Heckel
	Communications of the ACM
	June 1992
	p. 121

I'd have to say that it's not the finest piece of writing I've seen,
even though I'm prejudiced toward his conclusions, but it does flesh
out some of the background of the recent debate, and it does provide a
good summary of the pro-patent arguments.

One of the many tidbits that make the article worth reading is the
following:

	U.S. Patent 4,197,590 [the infamous "XOR cursor" patent]
	[...]  The "XOR" is only part of the invention.  [...]
	The League says this patent can be infringed in "a few lines
	of a program."  It can be, *but not on a computer that was
	commercially available at the time the invention was made*.
	The invention is largely the invention of the frame buffer.
	As such, it requires hardware which has since become common,
	making it possible to infringe the XOR claims with a few lines
	of code.  Many, if not most, computer manufacturers including
	Apple and IBM have taken out licenses which cover programs
	running on their computers.

(Whether it's a telling point, or even true, is not the interesting
point, but rather that a technique (in this case, frame buffers and
bitblt operations) that is widespread today was novel when it was
first used.)

Flame on!

Dale Worley		Dept. of Math., MIT		d...@math.mit.edu
--
Don't waste the money to see _Waiting for Godot_.  There isn't
any point to it -- believe it or not, Godot never arrives.