From: jf...@infonaut.com (Jim Freeman)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.providers,comp.graphics,comp.compression,
gnu.misc.discuss,comp.org.eff.talk
Subject: Proposed Mechanism to Establish LZ-free Image Format in 5 days
Date: 6 Jan 1995 09:33:56 -0700

                  5 day plan for LZ cleansing
                  ===========================
The net has the opportunity to demonstrate its capability for
distributed collaboration and enlightened collective self-interest
in responding to the LZ/GIF/Unisys/Compu$erve fiasco.  I'd propose
the following organization, actions, and schedule for scrubbing
graphics tools and Internet content of LZ infringing (?) material
by January 10 (just to be safe).

Something like this could already be happening, in which case I
apologize for being redundant.  I'll also apologize in advance for
any manifest naivete and unbridled optimism and trust in "the net".

 1) Fri Jan 6 1995 - Organization phase
	Establish a core of implementors, reviewers, experts, and
	assorted assistants who can spend 4 hectic days reviewing,
	planning, implementing, documenting, and making available
	tools, mechanisms, and policies for scrubbing Internet
	graphics tools and images archives of "infringing" content
	and code.  One day to organize, four days to plan, review,
	and implement.

	One could envision the authors of XV and GZIP, and others
	of similar background (say - a group of 10) specifying a
	LZ-free GIF (which would no longer be GIF) format.  Hopefully
	just the compression portion would be replaced (with gzip)
	to eliminate a protracted standards process and expedite the
	"big scrub".  More meaningful changes to a new graphics standard
	could follow from an enlarged version of this group, with a
	fresh motivation to remain free of encumbrances.  Since all
	projects should have acronyms and sub-groups, this would
	be the "Graphics/Compression Group" (GCG) of the "Sudden
	Internet Graphics Format Project" (SIGFP) 8-).

	Some trusted, non-vested entity (FSF?) could act as trustee
	for the process, ensuring that the outcome is not tainted
	by conflict of interest.

	The EFF/LPF could assist this process with some legal savvy
	in suggesting which versions (or portions thereof) of the
	extant GIF standards can be used without encumbrance.
	This would be the "Legal Issues Group" (LIG).  They could
	also be a site for collecting some funds for reimbursing
	project participants for pizza, Chinese food, long-distance
	phone calls, and other tangible costs incurred up through Jan 10.
	Let me know who winds up doing this, and I'll cough up $50.
	Content and tools providers with vested interest and a lot to
	lose might want to be a good bit more generous than that.

	An Internet maven and a couple of assistants could help manage
	e-mail and collaboration between groups, keep them free from
	external noise, filter through worthwhile input from capable
	interested observers of the process, and maintain a Web/e-mail
	mechanism for reporting on-going progress.  This would be the
	"Project Communications Group" (PCG).

	Some site admin types would be responsible for developing scripts
	and mechanisms for scrubbing all the content and tools on archive
	sites of "infringing" material.  Tools using LZ could be
	quarantined until LZ-free versions of each become available.
	Some tools (enough to get by with) could be available by the 10th.
	Scripts that comb archive sites converting GIFs to new-format
	images (in situ) could be developed and made available.  This
	would be the "Site Scrubbing Group" (SSG).

	Project participants who observe a sabbath could consecrate their
	bleary-eyed weekend work as a sacrament to sovereignty.

 2) Sat Jan 7 1995 - Specification Phase
	Conference calls between group members and between project groups
	establish the design of the separate components, and how they will
	interact to accomplish the scrub by the 10th.

 3) Sun Jan 8 1995 - Prototype Implementation Phase
	Core algorithms for replacing LZ tools and content are implemented
	and rough-tested.  One or two popular graphics tools/viewers are
	LZ-sanitized and tested, along with a conversion tool that can
	cleanse existing images and convert them in situ to the new format.

4) Mon Jan 9 1995 - Debug/Test Phase
	Legal issues of the new format and implementations are reviewed.
	An archive site is selected and does beta-testing of the tools and
	scripts.

	Since the January 10 edict might be viewed as an attempt at
	Internet extortion, CERT could issue advisories and make available
	the tools/converters/scripts across the Internet.  A FAQ/HowTo,
	source for tools and scripts, and overview of the issue and the
	project's resolution could be made available at the usual net sites.

5) Tues Jan 10 1995 - Final Implementation/Scrub Phase
	Internet archive sites and on-line content providers quarantine
	viewers/tools, make available newly-existing tools that are not
	seen as infringing, and run the scripts to scrub/convert infringing
	content.

The net becomes LZ-free, Unisys finishes shooting itself in the foot
a la C&S, CIX, and Intel/Pentium/FDIV.  Compu$erve abdicates any
leadership role it may have had in specifying/providing the commodity
graphics tools/standards necessary to consume its services/content,
and finishes proving itself clueless in how to meaningfully and
constructively exploit global computing.  The Internet and the people
who make it happen prove (once again) their ability to maintain
sovereignty and deal with brain-dead threats.

Compu$erve could still do the "Right Thing" by telling Unisys
to stuff it, then cut their PR and customer ($) loss by
unencumbering the GIF standard, replacing the LZ portion with
gzip or other unencumbered algorithm.  They then could reissue the
standard (making it PD or copyleft) and replace their available
content and tools with non-infringing versions, greatly reducing
their legal and monetary hassle and net alienation.

I'm going to eat pork&beans and save up my lunch money next month
so I can finally join the LPF.  I'm finally fed up.

...jfree

>        The EFF/LPF could assist this process with some legal savvy
>        in suggesting which versions (or portions thereof) of the
>        extant GIF standards can be used without encumbrance.
>        This would be the "Legal Issues Group" (LIG).  They could
>        also be a site for collecting some funds for reimbursing
>        project participants for pizza, Chinese food, long-distance
>        phone calls, and other tangible costs incurred up through Jan 10.
>        Let me know who winds up doing this, and I'll cough up $50.
>        Content and tools providers with vested interest and a lot to
>        lose might want to be a good bit more generous than that.

EFF would be happy to find and work with competent pro bono legal counsel
to help with this (since none of us are patent attorneys per se and we want
to make sure we do this right).  Not only are we willing to collect funds
for reimbursing project participants for the necessary pizza and jolt
expenses -- we will match all funds we collect, up to $1000, and throw in
EFF memberships to each person donating more than $100.  Any funds that are
not used for this purpose will be saved in an account that is earmarked for
fighting future net threats only.

Go for it!
Shari
Shari Steele, Director of Legal Services                sste...@eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                 202/861-7700 (voice)
1667 K Street, N.W., Suite 801                    202/861-1258 (fax)
Washington, DC  20006-1605                    202/861-1224 (BBS)