From: John Murtari <jmurt...@thebook.com>
Subject: Experience with THAWTE as Apache CA
Date: 1997/01/28
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: Software Workshop Inc
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
x-mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (X11; I; SunOS 5.4 sun4c)

We have been looking at adding the SSLeay patches to create a
secure Apache Server (we are on Solaris 2.5.1 and presently
Apache 1.1.1).  Wanted to find an economical, but recognized,
Certificate Authority.  We were going to go with VeriSign, but
didn't like the prices and the fact we had to go with Stronghold.

Found some info on Thawte Consulting Group
(http://www.thawte.com/certs),
and they seemed to offer a fair price ($100) and seem compatible
with Apache.

This CA stuff has been making us "dizzy", especially the fact that
certain browsers accepts certains CA's , out-of-the-box -- Thawte
says they are recognized by Netscape 2.x and IE 3.x.

We service a wide community and we didn't want folks to have to
ADD another CA to their browsers just to use our secure services.

Any feedback would be appreciated! BTW, this is NOT a trojan add
for Thawte Consulting -- don't have any connection with them, just
visited their web site. Also heard the Postal Service was going to
be a CA??

                                         John
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.
jmurt...@thebook.com 315.695.1301(x-211)  "TheBook.Com" (TM)
http://www.thebook.com/

>We have been looking at adding the SSLeay patches to create a
>secure Apache Server (we are on Solaris 2.5.1 and presently
>Apache 1.1.1).  Wanted to find an economical, but recognized,

I've done this with the latest SSLeay and Apache 1.1.3. If you are in the
US be careful to read all the notes. The US has bizarre "software patent"
laws that probably mean you can't use SSLeay for anything but research.

>This CA stuff has been making us "dizzy", especially the fact that
>certain browsers accepts certains CA's , out-of-the-box -- Thawte
>says they are recognized by Netscape 2.x and IE 3.x.

You can point random browsers at the Thawte site's secure pages and see
if they ask about certificates or just let you in. I think all the CA's
let you do that so you can see what the range of cover is.

>We service a wide community and we didn't want folks to have to
>ADD another CA to their browsers just to use our secure services.

Quite a few browsers don't support SSL anyway.

I'd be interested in feedback from users of Thawte's service. They look
very attractive and we have to pick a CA soon. Also people who are using
Thawte's ISP reseller service.

Alan

--
Alan Cox, Technical Director, CymruNET Ltd:	Email:	A...@cymru.net