Technology and Trends
 USENET Archives
  
From: Simon Austin <sim...@computerwire.com>
Subject: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/09/30
Message-ID: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 276739461
Organization: ComputerWire Inc
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix


I'm looking into upgrading our Apache server to one that handles secure
connections.

Basically, that comes down to Stronghold or Netscape's Enterprise or
FastTrack Servers.

I understand Stronghold would be a drop in replacement, but does anyone
know of any problems or issues as regards changing to either of
Netscape's servers?

- Si

--
Simon Austin     ---     Network Manager     ---     ComputerWire Inc.
mailto:sim...@computerwire.com             http://www.computerwire.com
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

From: hotl...@pc.jaring.my
Subject: Re: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/10/14
Message-ID: <344363a0.2103263@news.jaring.my>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 280359017
References: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com> <oqd8lic2pb.fsf@nyx.net>
Organization: Unconfigured
Reply-To: hotl...@pc.jaring.my
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix



Why Netscape or Stronghold??

Why not use the SSLEAY patch to Apache and make the SSL security
available on apache server????

It is Free, You have to pay for Netscape and Stronghold.

It may take some configuration and recompilation but it is free?





>> I'm looking into upgrading our Apache server to one that handles secure
>> connections.
>> 
>> Basically, that comes down to Stronghold or Netscape's Enterprise or
>> FastTrack Servers.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject: Re: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/10/14
Message-ID: <61vtbl$pjo$1@scanner.worldgate.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 280479216
References: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com> <oqd8lic2pb.fsf@nyx.net> 
<344363a0.2103263@news.jaring.my>
Organization: WorldGate Inc.  http://www.worldgate.com/
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix


In <344363a0.2103...@news.jaring.my> hotl...@pc.jaring.my writes:


>Why Netscape or Stronghold??

>Why not use the SSLEAY patch to Apache and make the SSL security
>available on apache server????

Because people in that wonderful free country called the US can't
use SSL without a license from RSA.

Well, they can use SSLv3 with a different algorithm.

From: a...@snowcrash.cymru.net (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/10/16
Message-ID: <6258qh$m31$1@snowcrash.cymru.net>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 280991863
References: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com> <oqd8lic2pb.fsf@nyx.net> 
<344363a0.2103263@news.jaring.my> <61vtbl$pjo$1@scanner.worldgate.com>
Organization: CymruNET
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix


In article <61vtbl$pj...@scanner.worldgate.com>,
Marc Slemko  <ma...@znep.com> wrote:
>Because people in that wonderful free country called the US can't
>use SSL without a license from RSA.

So host the commerce site in a country other than the USA and pick one with
a nice tax regime for your company. The entire planet is a matter of
milliseconds away from you.

As to SSLv3 and avoiding RSA - it probably doesn't avoid the SSL patent
recently granted to netscape, so you won't be using free SSL in the USA for
20 years.

Alan

-- 
CymruNet - 512Kbit lines for under UKP9000/year - Server and site hosting   --
-- Complete virtual services - Your own 0845 local call, server hosting     --
-- Virtual web provider - resellable virtual server space, domains and email--
  +44 1792 290194 Now you can do the business without doing the hardware...

From: t...@NOSPAMeborcom.com (Tom Hukins)
Subject: Re: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/10/16
Message-ID: <34465224.3010626@news.enterprise.net>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 281095614
References: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com> <oqd8lic2pb.fsf@nyx.net> 
<344363a0.2103263@news.jaring.my> <61vtbl$pjo$1@scanner.worldgate.com> 
<6258qh$m31$1@snowcrash.cymru.net>
Organization: eBORcOM
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix


On 16 Oct 1997 15:37:05 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

>In article <61vtbl$pj...@scanner.worldgate.com>,
>Marc Slemko  <ma...@znep.com> wrote:
>>Because people in that wonderful free country called the US can't
>>use SSL without a license from RSA.
>
>So host the commerce site in a country other than the USA and pick one with
>a nice tax regime for your company. The entire planet is a matter of
>milliseconds away from you.

Having compared the offerings of server hosts in the USA and here in
the UK it seems that in most cases comparable services are
considerably cheaper in the US, usually enough to offset the cost of
Stronghold. Also, US servers tend to respond better to pings sent from
various places around the world.

At least this is what I've observed.

Tom


To reply to this message remove the phrase 'NOSPAM' from my address

-- 
       Learn how to create amazing web sites

     Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
          http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/

From: a...@snowcrash.cymru.net (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Apache to Netscape or Stronghold?
Date: 1997/10/17
Message-ID: <627fuv$5ug$1@snowcrash.cymru.net>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 281783754
References: <34310D1C.71B964DD@computerwire.com> 
<61vtbl$pjo$1@scanner.worldgate.com> <6258qh$m31$1@snowcrash.cymru.net> 
<34465224.3010626@news.enterprise.net>
Organization: CymruNET
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix


In article <34465224.3010...@news.enterprise.net>,
Tom Hukins <t...@NOSPAMeborcom.com> wrote:
>Having compared the offerings of server hosts in the USA and here in
>the UK it seems that in most cases comparable services are
>considerably cheaper in the US, usually enough to offset the cost of
>Stronghold. Also, US servers tend to respond better to pings sent from
>various places around the world.

UK connectivity is pretty good but I'd probably look elsewhere for the best
place to host secure sites - ones with nice tax laws, a good place to keep
all the money and very good connectivity. I host em in the UK because well
Im in the UK(ish)

Its becoming quite common to see stuff moving. A lot of the US online
gambling industry appears to be running from Prague for example

Alan
-- 
CymruNet - 512Kbit lines for under UKP9000/year - Server and site hosting   --
-- Complete virtual services - Your own 0845 local call, server hosting     --
-- Virtual web provider - resellable virtual server space, domains and email--
  +44 1792 290194 Now you can do the business without doing the hardware...