From: Greg Maxwell <g...@linuxpower.cx>
Subject: Patent
Date: 1999/11/03
Sender: owner-linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
To: linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu, r...@gnu.org
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel

I thought you all might want to know:

Almost all Linux kernels today are infringing on US patent #5,806,063

The infringing code is in linux/arch/i386/kernel/time.c:get_cmos_time.

It deals with using 'windowing' to convert non-y2k-ok dates into 4 digit
dates.

(http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=
/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=curr&s1='McDonnell+Douglas'
&s2='year+2000'&OS='McDonnell+Douglas'+AND+'year+2000'&RS='McDonnell+Douglas'
+AND+'year+2000')

Nevermind the fact that Linux had this code more then a year before the
patent was applied for. :)

How does the GPL look opon this, can I still distribute Linux since I
dont agree with the patent? If I (as say a linux distro) license the
patent (to cover my ass) could I still distribute Linux?

Could we somehow use this to make McDonnell Douglas Corporation (patent
holder) remove all their Linux? :) :) :)

-
the body of a message to majord...@vger.rutgers.edu