Newsgroups: comp.org.eff.talk
From: br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton)
Subject: US Makes Commercial Software Piracy a Felony 10/12/92
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1992 01:05:56 GMT

The following article comes from today's issue of Newsbytes, our
daily computer industry news service.  I think it will be of interest
to EFF members.  For info about our electronic newspaper service,
write to in...@clarinet.com

--------

WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A., 1992 OCT 12 (NB) -- The United States
government has elevated commercial software piracy from a
misdemeanor to a felony, a move some say will help reduce the
illegal copying of software.

Late on October 8, the Senate approved changes made by the House of
Representative to S. 893, The Software Copyright Protection Bill,
sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and originally passed the
Senate on June 4. The bill had passed the House by voice vote the
night of October 3. S. 893 now goes to the President to be signed
into law.

The law defines commercial pirates as individuals who willfully copy
software for commercial advantage or private financial gain.
Prison terms of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 can
now be imposed on persons convicted of infringing at least 10
copies of a copyrighted software program or any combination of
programs with a retail value greater than $2,500. Repeat offenses
can include up to 10 years' imprisonment.

According to Ilene Rosenthal, a spokeswoman for the Software
Publishers' Association which backed the bill, the law is not
aimed at the individual who makes a single copy of a program to use
at home or to share with a friend.

According to the SPA, piracy in the US alone cost the industry
$2.4 billion in 1990. Worldwide losses that year are estimated
between $10 billion and $12 billion.

Misdemeanor penalties have not been enough to deter commercial
software pirates, Rosenthal said, and also have not been enough to
justify the amount of effort investigators needed to put into a
piracy case. Law enforcers were reluctant to make the effort,
Rosenthal said, when "at the end of it all you're going to get is
a $500 fine or a suspended sentence."

The new law brings software piracy into the same category as the
illegal copying of movies or commercial music recordings, which
became a felony in 1982, Rosenthal said. Since that time, she
noted, piracy of movies and recordings has dropped off
substantially in the United States. The SPA expects similar results
from S. 893.

"As the federal authorities get more involved," Rosenthal said,
"it's going to make it not worth the risk for people that thought
they could play the odds and not get caught."

The Washington-based Software Publishers Association has more than
950 members, representing publishers of business, consumer, and
education software markets. It has been active in fighting software
piracy for several years.

(Grant Buckler)
--
Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Sunnyvale, CA 408/296-0366

>The following article comes from today's issue of Newsbytes, our
>daily computer industry news service.  I think it will be of interest
>to EFF members.  For info about our electronic newspaper service,
>write to in...@clarinet.com
>
>--------
>
>WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A., 1992 OCT 12 (NB) -- The United States
>government has elevated commercial software piracy from a
>misdemeanor to a felony, a move some say will help reduce the
>illegal copying of software.

In addition to this Newsbyte Article, the latest Computer Underground Digest
has a copy of the bill as well as an analysis pointing out some potential
problems with possible interpretations of the law.  That while the SPA may
say it doesn't blah blah blah, that the language of the bill can be
interpreted in some drastic ways.

My question is.....was there a lot of discussion/coverage of this bill before
it was passed?  I didn't see much in this newsgroup, the EFFector, or CuD.
Did *I* just miss this information, or what?   How can something as important
and wide-spread as legislation on software piracy miss my/our sensors?

--
  bla...@wixer.cactus.org           |              Cyberlicious Software
  Editor of Scream Baby             |              PO Box 4510

>>WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A., 1992 OCT 12 (NB) -- The United States
>>government has elevated commercial software piracy from a
>>misdemeanor to a felony, a move some say will help reduce the
>>illegal copying of software.

>My question is.....was there a lot of discussion/coverage of this bill before
>it was passed?  I didn't see much in this newsgroup, the EFFector, or CuD.
>Did *I* just miss this information, or what?   How can something as important
>and wide-spread as legislation on software piracy miss my/our sensors?

      Looks like the EFF really dropped the ball on this one.  Apparently
there was no opposing position presented to Congress until just before
it passed, and then it was too late.

      I'm really suprised at this.  Working for well-drafted computer crime
legislation is supposedly EFF's main thrust.  They made much of being involved
in drafting the Massachusetts state computer crime law.  But now they let the
big one get away.

      The SPA's main argument for making software piracy a felony was that
they couldn't get enough attention from the FBI when it was just a
misdemeanor.  That's a weak argument, and it could have been knocked down
with minimal effort.  But where was EFF?

      So now we have a law which grants overly broad discretion to law
enforcement in an area where this is strongly undesirable.  This will
cause much grief in the search and seizure area.  It could even make another
Sundevil possible.  This time, broad seizures of BBS systems could be
justified by searching for "felony software piracy".  This law could
be used for harassing anyone or any business that uses computers.

      This law will cause trouble.  I don't expect many convictions, but
it may well be used as an instrument of intimidation.

					John Nagle